|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1817|
|Place of birth||Chacewater, Cornwall, England|
|Date of arrival||1840|
|Principal occupation||Farmer, blacksmith.|
|Date of death||1858|
|Place of decease||Willunga, South Australia|
James Binney was born on 13/04/1817 at Chacewater, Cornwall (Father - Elias Binney, butcher and Honor) James’ older brother Richard Binney and his family arrived in the colony by 1845 but they did not live in the Wilunga district James Binney married in the Parish Church at Falmouth, Cornwall on 6 Oct 1839 to Elizabeth nee Boundy (Father – George Boundy) She was born 17/02/1820 and died aged 38 years on 05/01/1859 at Willunga and she is buried at St. Stephen’s Anglican Cemetery, Willunga.
They lived at Chacewater, Cornwall before emigrating to South Australia James Binney arrived, aged 22, with his wife Elizabeth (aged 20 years) on board Morley from London on 16 April 1840. Application – 6053 Embarkation – 3958.
Children (9 comprising 4 sons and 5 daughters): William Henry (12/10/1841-17/07/1909) m. Honor Marshall John (16/08/1843-25/04/1935) m. Elizabeth Ferris Elizabeth Ann (14/09/1845-1930) m. Charles Jackson James (14/02/1848- ) m. Sarah Marshall Matilda (11/04/1850-1927) m. Edward Scotcher Mary Jane (09/04/1852- ) m. John McRae Alfred (12/01/1854-11/05/1855) died as an infant Emily (07/12/1855-1874) m. James Greenlees Amelia (1858- ) m. Ward
James Binney carried on a blacksmith's business at Gawler for two years (1839-1841) and then proceeded to Willunga, where, after 15 months' blacksmithing, he took up land, probably a town allotment (in 1842 or 1843). James Binney sold town allotment 27 (now “Buckland House” at 21 St. Lukes Street) in the township of Willunga to Thomas Ferry, labourer, of Willunga for 12 pounds on 12 Sept 1844.
In the 1840s James Binney purchased section 442 two miles out of the township on which he built a house and combined farming with his trade. He paid rates on sections 442 and 444 (80 acres) in 1850, 1853 and 1855-8 on either side of what became Binney Road (named after the Binney family). In 1856 he added section 766 (123 acres) and in 1857 section 765 (100 acres) and a township allotment in 1858. The first pug cottage built in the 1840s was demolished in 1975 but parts of the second Binney house and cellar built by George Sara in the late 1850s still survive today including a small original kitchen with slate flags and an external cellar/store room also with slate flags. These are located on Binney Road in section 442 of the Willunga district.
James Binney served as a special juror in a Supreme Court Civil trial in 1855. James Binney was listed as the owner when three of his sons [William Henry, John and James (junior)] competed in the Boys’ class of the local ploughing matches held in McLaren Vale, Willunga and Aldinga in the years around 1856-58.
Residence - Willunga (1842-1858). Religion – C/E. James Binney died, aged 41 years, on 28/08/1858 at Willunga and he is buried at St. Stephen’s Anglican Cemetery, Willunga. His second son John bought the farm on his father’s death.
- Family Histories. B. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder 40-2
- Pioneers and Settlers bound for South Australia. Passenger Lists 1840. Fleurieu Peninsula Family History Group
- Ratepayer List. Willunga and Aldinga Councils 1850-1888. Volume 1. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch)
- South Australian Register 23 Jan 1841:2
- South Australian Register 26 June 1855:3
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1
- Thomas J. (ed) 1990. South Australians 1836-1885 Book One A-L.