Binney home, 100 Binney Road
|Address:||100 Binney Road|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Year constructed:||c. 1859|
|Built by:||George Sara for Binney family|
|Used for:||Family home|
This house was the home of the Binney family for around 160 years. It is on the farm that was established by James Binney in the 1840's. An early pug cottage on the site was the family's first home but this was demolished in 1975.
The current farmhouse was constructed in 1859 after the death of James Binney in 1858, aged 41 years. His will directed that a "Good and substantial four roomed house be built for his widow" on recently purchased Allotment 26 in St Luke Street, Willunga. But his widow Elizabeth died "of a broken heart" 6 months later in January 1859 leaving a family of eight children aged from seventeen to less than one year. The executors Thomas Marshall, farmer, and George Sara, builder of Willunga, chose to build the house on the farm. It had six rooms and a two level cellar.
The Binney children lived in this cottage on the farm and the three sons (William, James and John) worked the farm until William and James junior moved to the Crystal Brook area to farm. John Binney became the owner until his retirement after which his sons (as Binney Brothers) owned and worked the farm until the late 1920's. In 1930 the house was extensively restored when Martin Binney and family moved there. Martin died in 1939 and the farm passed to his son Lloyd who lived there until his death in 2012.
The house is listed on the City of Onkaparinga's local heritage list. Internally the house retains its small original kitchen room with slate flags and evidence of the height of the original walls. But externally, it looks like a 1930s building. The front of the building has been encased in cement sheeting. The structure is also double-roofed with a corrugated iron roof over the brick inner core and a second roof sitting on the outer stone walls.
The external cellar containing two store rooms is semi-excavated and constructed of stone with brick quoining. Slate flags also remain in this early section. This external room is constructed with double walls of stone with a cavity between to ensure its constant temperature internally. This small building has a slate damp proof course visible in the south western corner. Both the original house and cellar were constructed by George Sara, the Willunga builder.
Associated with the early farmhouse and external cellar is a slate underground tank now encased in corrugated iron cladding for protection. Also there is a small fieldstone barn which has been extended in corrugated iron. The barn retains its early divided timber door and the barn section retains its slate flagging also.