Cottage 43 Aldinga Road
|Address:||43 Aldinga Road|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Year constructed:||c. 1850|
This cottage was the family home of bootmaker William Joseph Bott and his wife Mary. It is one of several cottages built along Aldinga Road in the 1850s on part of Section 257 which was originally granted to Evelyn Sturt in 1839.
William and Mary Bott moved into the cottage in March 1864. It was next door to Dowty's Cottage and store, and just down Aldinga Road from Bott's first home and boot-maker's shop at 17 Aldinga Road where they had lived until their newly married daughter Lucy and her husband William Illman moved into the bootmaker's business premises in 1864.
William and Mary Bott lived at number 43 until William's death in January 1880. His widow presumably then moved back to 17 Aldinga Road to live with her daughter and son-in-law, Lucy and William Illman.
The cottage was bought in August 1880 by William Chenoweth, a farmer of Willunga and stayed in his ownership until his death in 1904. During this period it was known as 'Rose Cottage'. It was then owned from 1904 to 1916 by farmers John James Chenoweth of Sellicks Hill and George Hunt of Myponga who were the executors of William Chenoweth's estate.
Then followed a long period of ownership by the Jacobs family. Initially Elizabeth Rita Jacobs, a single woman, owned it from 1916 to 1920. Then, from 1920 to 1956, it was owned by Howard Jacobs who worked in the Jacobs Store in Hill Street, Willunga.
A later owner was Ronald Mann, from 1956 to 1972.
The cottage is on the local Heritage List of the City of Onkaparinga. It is a low scale, single-storey stone and brick cottage which has had the early roof and verandah structure replaced, but retains the early joinery to the windows, including 12 pane window sashes.
- Willunga National Trust Collection - Folder 42-2