|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||c. 1819|
|Place of birth||Lincolnshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1846|
|Date of departure||c. 1855|
|Date of death||1878|
|Place of decease||Yorketown, South Australia.|
Joseph Hill was born c.1819. His father was John Hill of Waddingham in Lincolnshire and he lived in Lincolnshire before emigrating to South Australia. His brother was Richard Hill.
Joseph Hill, aged about 27 years, married Isabella Ellis (1824-09/081868) on 4 May 1846 at Barrow-on-Humber, Lincolnshire. They arrived in South Australia on board the ship Hooghly on 19 June 1846 with his cousin Robert Atkinson and his new wife Mary Ann (nee Aldham).
Joseph was a farmer at Willunga for nearly a decade between 1846 and 1855 and later at Yorketown in South Australia.
They had 10 children comprising of 7 sons and 3 daughters: Sarah (17/011847-1934) b. at Willunga, m. Stinchcombe at Warvers Flat, Yorke Peninsula in 1874; Joseph (10/10/1848-15/01/1873) b. at Willunga; John (20/01/1850-03/11/1943) b. at Willunga m. Louisa Ann Treloar at Clare, SA on 04/08/1873, d. at Northam, WA; Martha (06/08/1851-1934) b. at Willunga. m. Barnes d. at Portland, Vic; Ann (23/10/1853- ) b. at Willunga; George (15/07/1855-14/05/1942) m. Ann Thurman Morris (26/10/1854-29/07/1943) at the Wesleyan Chapel Glenburn near Yankalilla on 13/07/1876, d. at Perth, WA; Robert (18/09/1856-22/09/1930) b. at One Stone Gully, SA, m. Emma Elizabeth Watson on 4 Feb 1878 at the residence of the bride’s father, Koolywurtie, SA, d.at Jeparit, Vic; William John (14/10/1858-24/02/1907) m. Hannah Pitt on 27/08/1885; Charles (29/06/1860-1935) b. at Yoho Creek; Richard (18/04/1862-1942) b. at Glenburn; Mary (08/12/1863- ) b. at Glenburn.
In 1850 and 1853 Joseph Hill paid rates on section 242 (80 acres) but by 1855 the ratepayer for this section was listed as Richard Hill.
Joseph Hill, aged about 59 years, died on 15 Sept 1878 at Yorketown in South Australia. Isabella Hill (nee Ellis) died on 9 Aug 1868 at Blythe Plains, South Australia.
- Family Histories. H. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder
- Ratepayer List. Willunga and Aldinga Councils 1850-1888. Volume 1. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch)
- SA Maritime Museum. Passengers in History Database. Hill
- South Australia. Births Index of registrations. 1842-1906
- South Australia. Deaths Index of registrations. 1842-1915
- South Australia. Marriages Index of registrations. 1842-1916
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 3.