|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1859|
|Place of birth||Willunga|
|Principal occupation||Clerk, greengrocer and storekeeper|
|Date of departure||1907|
|Date of death||1911|
|Place of decease||Claremont, WA|
John Atkinson was born on 18 July 1859 at Willunga and baptized at St. Stephen’s on 25 Sep 1859. He was the youngest and fifth surviving son of Robert Atkinson (1823-1862) and Mary Ann Aldam (1822-1893). John played in the Willunga under 15 football team in 1874. He was a clerk, greengrocer and storekeeper and he lived in Willunga (1859-1883?), Naracoorte (1884), Willunga (1885-1907?) Kalgoorlie (1908-9?) and Perth (Claremont at death in 1911).
John purchased Lot 84 44 High Street) on 27 Oct 1885, which almost certainly already had a house on the allotment. He subsequently established a corner store, bakery and residence at 44 High Street (Lot 84) and sold an assortment of drapery, groceries, ironmongery, crockery and tinware. His brother Robert Fish Atkinson (1857-1922) purchased a half share in the business in 1896 and they added an auctioneering business in 1901. In 1907 John sold his half share in the business to his brother Robert Fish Atkinson.
John (aged 23 years) married Hellen Elizabeth Delano (01/021863-12/06/1891) (aged 21 years) on 26 March 1883 at Clayton Chapel, North Kensington. She was the youngest surviving daughter of William and M.A Delano of Queen Street, Norwood. She died (in childbirth) at the Adelaide Hospital aged 28 years on 12 June 1891 and she is buried in St. Stephen’s Cemetery, Willunga.
They had 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls; both boys died in infancy):
- Charlotte Jane (1884-1945) born at Narracoorte. married David Berry in 1908 at East Coolgardie, WA died at Inglewood, WA
- William Delano (1885-1886) born at Willunga and baptized at St Stephen’s on 22 March 1886 died aged 4 months at Willunga and he is buried in St. Stephen’s Cemetery, Willunga.
- Helen (1886-1971) born at Willunga baptized St Stephen’s on 9 Sep 1887 married Vernon Hulston Cribb at Subiaco, WA in 1909 died in 1971 at Perth, WA
- Teddie (12/06/1891-12/06/1891) born at Adelaide died at Adelaide (36 hours old)
John (aged 38 years) married for the 2nd time to Amy Melissa Crafers Lane (1873-1939) on 16 July 1897 at Wesleyan Methodist Parsonage in Adelaide. They had 3 children (1 boy and 2 girls):
- John Douglas (1897-1960) d. aged 63 years at Perth, WA
- Melissa Crafers (1900-1992) d. aged 91 years at Perth, WA
- Amy Aldam (1906- )
John Atkinson (formerly of Kalgoorlie?) aged 52 years, died as a patient of the Hospital for the Insane in Claremont, WA on 25 Dec 1911. He left 20 pounds in his will to his (second) wife Amy Mellisa Atkinson.
- South Australian Register 7 April 1883:4
- Evening Journal 14 Aug 1886: 5
- The Daily News 19 Jan 1912:2