|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1843|
|Place of birth||Willunga|
|Date of death||1935|
John Binney was born in Willunga on 16 Aug 1843. He was the second son of James Binney (1817-1858) and Elizabeth (née Boundy or Bowndy) (1820-1859).
John Binney, aged 23 years, married Elizabeth Ferris Elliot, aged 20 years, (1846-1925) on 23 Oct 1866 at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Willunga.
John Binney was a wheat farmer. From the age of 18 in 1861, he was a regular exhibitor at the Willunga Show until 1905 and, later, the Royal Adelaide Show, winning many first prizes. One of his wheat exhibits was sent to the Royal Show in London and attracted considerable interest. His seed wheat was eagerly sought after in all parts of the State. He was also a foundation member of the local branch of the Agricultural Bureau. John Binney retired in 1905 and moved into the township of Willunga.
John Binney, aged 91 years, died at Willunga on 23 April 1935. His wife Elizabeth, aged 79 years, had died on 18 Aug 1925. They are both buried in St. Stephen’s Anglican Cemetery, Willunga.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SA Census 1841
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Family Histories. B. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder 40-2
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1
- The Advertiser 30 April 1935 p.17