|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1875|
|Place of birth||Mitcham, SA.|
|Date of arrival||c. 1901|
|Date of departure||c. 1920|
|Date of death||1958|
|Place of decease||South Australia|
Henry Bishop was born 26 Dec 1875 at Mitcham, SA. He was the youngest son of Charles Bishop (1810-1884) and Elizabeth Chaplin (1835-1897). Henry married Harriet Fortesque (nee Field) (1878-1937) on 18 July 1899 at Parkside, SA. They had six children:
William Henry (1901-1972) b. at Aldinga,
Lionel Albert Jack “John” (1903-1964) b. at Aldinga,
Dulcie May Fortescue (1906-1982) b. at Aldinga,
Cyril George (1908-1927) b. at Willunga,
Annis Elizabeth (1910-2000) b. at Aldinga,
Ralph Douglas (1912-1992) b. at Willunga,
In August 1902, Henry Bishop, described as a saddler of Aldinga, purchased the property at 15 Old Coach Road, Aldinga and ran it as a saddlery and general harness maker business. Also he had side lines as a paper agent and sold new harnesses, general horse requirements and boots and shoes. His second son “John” (Professor John Bishop) was a world class musician, leading Australian academic, conductor and patron of the Arts. In 1948, John Bishop was appointed the Elder Professor of Music and director of the Elder Conservatorium at the University of Adelaide. He played a significant role in the development of music education in Australia and was a founder and the first artistic director of the Adelaide Festival of Arts.
Henry owned 15 Old Coach Road until July 1920 when it was sold to Charles Robert Brown, farmer of Aldinga.
Henry Bishop died on 5 May 1958 in South Australia.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1