Butterworth, John William
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1824|
|Place of birth||Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1840|
|Principal occupation||Farmer and flour miller|
|Date of departure||1863|
|Date of death||1900|
|Place of decease||Yankalilla|
John William Butterworth was born at Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England on 22 July 1824. He was the oldest son of Joseph Butterworth (1802-1875) and his first wife Alice (née Broadbent) (1803-1855). He was Church of England. Aged 16 years, he arrived with his parents on 9 March 1840 aboard Baboo from Liverpool, England.
- Joseph (1851-1910) was born at Aldinga and married Jane Evangeline Bollen (1854-1931) on 16 August 1877 at the residence of Dr Bollen, Port Adelaide. They had four children. Joseph was a shipping agent. The family lived at Port Adelaide and later in the city. Joseph died at Butterworth & Co, 343 Wakefield St, Adelaide and is buried in North Road Cemetery.
- Annabella Stewart (1853-1894) was born at Adelaide and married Frederick Malcolm Graham (1856-1911) on 10 February 1887 at the residence of Mr. Butterworth, Normanville. They had one son. Annabella died at North Adelaide.
- George (1856-1939) was born at Aldinga and married Minna Margaret Loutit (1858-1940) on 20 December 1882 at the National Bank, Mount Gambier, SA. They had three daughters and lived at Port Adelaide. George died at Adelaide and is buried at West Terrace Cemetery.
- John (1859-1876) was born at Aldinga and was unmarried. He died, aged 17 years, at Normanville, SA and is buried in the Normanville Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery.
- Stewart (1863-1885) was born at Salt Creek and was unmarried. He died, aged 22 years, at Silverton, NSW.
- Robert (1865-1922) was born at Normanville and married Kate Ralph (1876-1936) on 20 May 1903 at St. John’s Church, Maitland, SA. They had three children. Robert died at Semaphore and is buried at Nailsworth Cemetery.
- Ailcie Kate (1869-1923) was born at Normanville and married George Harris McMillan (1856-1914) on 27 August 1890 at Normanville, SA. They had three sons. Ailcie died at Adelaide.
From the 1840s, John William Butterworth probably worked for his father Joseph at the White’s Valley (Aldinga) Flour Mill. From the 1850s until the early 1860s, he was a farmer at Aldinga, probably on section 209, which was owned by his father Joseph. By 1863 he farmed at Normanville.
In 1853, John entered the General Division of the Aldinga Ploughing Match with a team of horses owned by Thomas Atkinson. In the same year, he advertised for tenders to supply firewood for the Aldinga Mill. In 1864, John William Butterworth applied to have section 209 brought under the provisions of the Real Property Act 1858. With his brother Eli, he erected a flourmill at Yankalilla. In 1863, he sold his farm at Aldinga and moved to Yankalilla/Normanville. He became a Justice of the Peace (J.P.) in later life.
John William Butterworth, aged 76 years, died on 20 November 1900 at Yankalilla and Isabella Butterworth (née McMillan), aged 84 years, died on 31 May 1908 at North Adelaide. They were both buried in the Yankalilla Public Cemetery.
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SA Census 1841
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- South Australian Register 26 March 1853:2
- South Australian Advertiser 6 May 1864:3
- Adelaide Observer 1 Dec 1900:13
- Observer 6 June 1908:38