|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||c. 1831|
|Place of birth||Kilkenny, Ireland|
|Date of arrival||1858|
|Date of departure||c. 1873|
|Date of death||1906|
|Place of decease||Mildura, Vic|
James Cantwell was born in Kilkenny, Ireland in about 1831 and was the son of James Cantwell senior (1790-1856) and Mary Nagle (1795-1849). He was the younger brother of Patrick Cantwell (1819-1881) and the older brother of Mary Cantwell (1828-1898). Religion – Roman Catholic.
James, aged about 27 years, and his wife Mary (25) arrived on 8 July 1858 aboard Utopia from Liverpool with his older brother Patrick (38), his wife Ann (38) and their daughter Mary (5). His sister Mary (1828-1898) had married Daniel Hoban on 19 Nov 1857 at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Willunga.
James, aged 22 years, had married Mary Nesbitt (1833-1900), aged 20 years, in Kilkenny 22 Aug 1853. They had eleven children (six were born at Aldinga between 1858 and 1871):
Mary Theresa (1853-1926) b. in Kilkenny, Ireland, m. Johan Seedorf (1850- ) on 3 April 1872 at St Batholomew’s Church in Norwood, d. in Moama, NSW.
Emily Ann Louisa (1855-1931) b. in Kilkenny, Ireland, m. (1st) John Joseph Young (1853-1883) (2nd) Sievert Ernest von Oertzen Perry (1865-1943) at St Martin’s Church, Quorn, d. at Port Adelaide, SA.
John Ignatius (1856-1920) b. in Kilkenny, Ireland, m. Ellen Agnes Searson (1857-1941) at St Patricks Church on 17 July 1883, they had eight children and lived in Kensington & later Mildura, d. in Adelaide.
Catherine (1858-1908) b. at Aldinga, m. George Sue (Soo) (1843-1897) on 7 Feb 1876 in Wentworth, NSW, they had nine children, d. in Mildura, Vic.
Sarah (1860-1913) b. at Aldinga, m. John Dugan (1848-1923) on 10 Feb 1880 at St Patricks Church, Adelaide, they had twelve children, d. in Edithburgh, SA.
Frances (“Fanny”) (1861-1942) b. at Aldinga, m. Michael Hughes (1842-1942) on 14 Jan 1883 at Yorketown, SA, they had ten children, d. at Adelaide, SA and buried in West Terrace Cemetery
Margaret (1863-1947) b. at Aldinga, m. William Henry Rogers (1854-1906) on 24 Dec 1884 at the RC Presbytery, Yorketown, SA, they had eight children, d. at Mt Gambier, SA.
Teresa Veronica (1867-1959) b. at Aldinga, m. (1st) Courtney Beswetherick at Wentworth, NSW on 11 July 1890, they had four children, (2nd) Samuel Fletcher (1867-1921) on 10 Sept 1903 at the Registry Office, Adelaide, they had three daughters, d. at Adelaide.
Elizabeth Agnes (1869-1949) b. at Aldinga, unmarried, d. aged 80 years, at Fullarton.
William James (1871-1948) b. at Port Willunga, d. in Queensland.
Jane (1875-1937) b. at Myponga, m. Alfred Rogers (1868-1948) on 19 Feb 1894 at the residence of John Dugan, Edithburgh, d. at Minlaton, SA.
James Cantwell was a labourer and the Cantwell family lived in Aldinga and Port Willunga (approx. 1858-1873). In Jan 1866 James Cantwell purchased parts of lot 11 (on William Street) and lot 13 (on Water Street) in section 391 (Port Willunga) and he later sold this land to Arthur Ellbourne, labourer of Port Willunga, in June 1878 (CT 78/77). In March 1866 James Cantwell was granted a land grant for 61 acres of section 310 which he sold to Charles Theodor Lohrmann in July 1883 (CT 81 113). They also paid rates on a house in section 192 (in 1867) and then in section 391 in Port Willunga (1870-74). His brother Patrick may have taken over the house in section 391 paying rates on the property in 1875. They later lived at Myponga (by about 1873) and then Yorke Town (by 1879) and Bublacowie on Yorke Peninsula.
In April 1876 James Cantwell was found guilty in the Supreme Court of Indecent Assault against Mrs. Ann Johnson at Aldinga on 21 Feb 1876 and sentenced to three months imprisonment with hard labor.
James Cantwell, aged 81 years, died at Mildura on 20 Jan 1906 and Mary Cantwell (nee Nesbitt) died on 10 May 1900 at Bublacowie, SA.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- SAILIS CT 78/77 & CT 81/113
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga Births Register No. 218 – Catherine Cantwell (b. 5/11/1858) witness – Jane Hughes
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga Births Register No. 291 – Sarah Cantwell (b. 29/4/1860) witnesses – Thomas Pender & Mary Brenan
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 415 – Frances (b. 1/2/1861) witnesses – Pat Cantwell & Anne Cantwell
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 481 – Margaret (b. 25/7/1863) witnesses – Daniel Hoban & Catherine Brown
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 566 – Emily (b. 16/2/1865) witnesses – Andy O’Brien & Jane Hughes
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 609 – George James (b. 11/3/1866) witnesses – Thomas Brenan & Anne Cantwell
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 685 – Terese (b. 13/1/1867) witnesses – Thomas Reid & Margaret Ward
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 792 – Elizabeth Agnes Cantwell (b. 7/8/1869) witnesses – Mr. Waters & Mrs. Johnson
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 874 – William James Cantwell (b. 5/4/1871) witnesses – Daniel Hoban & Mary Hoban
- St Josephs Catholic Church Willunga No. 997 – Sara Cantwell (b. 20/6/1875) witnesses – Dan Delany & Mrs. Pender
- SAILIS CT 78/77 & CT 81/113
- South Australian Register 7 March 1876:3
- South Australian Register 30 March 1876:3
- South Australian Advertiser 30 March 1876:6
- South Australian Advertiser 4 April 1876:6
- Adelaide Observer 8 April 1876:8
- The Express & Telegraph 5 Aug 1890:2
- The Express & Telegraph 1 March 1894:2
- Chronicle 28 Oct 1899:29
- Chronicle 10 Feb 1906:31