Chenoweth, Edwin John
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1821|
|Place of birth||Lanteglas near Camelford in North Cornwall, England|
|Date of arrival||1856|
|Principal occupation||Saddler and farmer|
|Date of death||1912|
|Place of decease||Norwood, South Australia|
Edwin John Chenoweth (alternative spelling Chenowth) was born on 11 March 1821, second son of John Chenoweth and Elizabeth Cock from Lanteglas near Camelford in North Cornwall, England. Edwin John married Jane Cornelius (1819-1891) on 12 Sept 1840 at Camelford, Cornwall. Religion – Wesleyan Methodist.
His older brother William Chenoweth (1812-1904) was a quarryman who emigrated to South Australia in 1849 and settled in the Willunga District. Edwin was described as a saddler when he arrived in Port Adelaide, aged 35 years, with his wife Jane, aged 36 years, and eight surviving children (Elizabeth, Fanny, Mary Ann, Edwin, John, Frederick, Samuel and James) on board the Government emigrant ship Aurora on 21 May 1856 from Southampton. Two of their daughters had died before they left the UK (Sarah Jane and Caroline) and three sons (Charles, Henry and Phillip) were born at Willunga after their arrival.
They eventually had a total of 14 children (nine sons and five daughters):
Elizabeth (1841-1920) m. James Reed on 1 Jan 1859 by Rev. James Ashton at Willunga.
Fanny (1842-1924) m. William Richards (1850-1933) in 1873
Mary Ann (1844-1915)
Sarah Jane (1845-1847) died as an infant
Caroline (1846-1853) died as a child
Edwin George (1848-1923) m. Esther Sibley, aged 19, on 31 March 1875 at residence of Edwin Chenoweth, Willunga. They had 11 children. Saddler at Aldinga until 1894.
John (1850-1867) d. at Aldinga aged 17 years
Frederick (1851-1924) m. Ellen on 18 Aug 1871
Samuel (1853-1938) m. Martha Taylor on 23 Sept 1876 at the residence of Bride’s father (John Taylor) in Willunga.
James (1854-1934) m. Mary Taylor on 31 Aug 1875 at the residence of Bride’s father (Job Taylor) in Willunga.
Charles (1857-1931) b. at Willunga, m. Elizabeth Anne
Henry (1859-1859) b. & d. at Willunga, died as an infant
Phillip (1861-1927) b. at Willunga
Edwin John worked as a saddler and later as a farmer. He paid rates on Lot 51 in the township of Willunga and on section of land on California Road, White’s Valley. He and his family were resident in Willunga by 1857 and he remained there until at least the 1890s (over 30 years).
Jane Chenoweth (1820-1891) died, aged 71 years, on 18 Feb 1891 at Willunga. After Jane’s death in 1891 Edwin, aged 70 years, remarried to Agnes Bloomer, aged 54 years, (1837-1912) who died on 13 March 1912, aged 75 years.
Edwin John Chenoweth died on 12 May 1912, aged 91 years, at his son James’ home in Norwood and he was buried in the West Terrace Cemetery. A colonist for 55 years.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Family Histories. C. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder 40-3
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1
- Adelaide Observer 24 May 1856:1
- South Australian Register 17 March 1868:2
- Evening Journal 7 Sept 1872:2
- South Australian Advertiser 3 Sept 1875:4
- South Australian Advertiser 23 Sept 1875:4
- The Advertiser 26 March 1891:4
- The Advertiser 14 March 1912:8
- The Advertiser 13 May 1912:8
- The Express and Telegraph 13 May 1912:1