|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||c. 1816|
|Place of birth||Wiltshire|
|Date of arrival||1838|
|Date of death||1892|
|Place of decease||Aldinga|
Gabriel Cox was the son of Henry Cox (1793-1879) and Sarah (nee Whitebread) (1793-1817). He was the step-brother of Thomas Cox (1826-1907) who also emigrated to South Australia and lived in Aldinga. He was born on 5 Nov 1815 and grew up at Tidcombe, Wiltshire, England. He was a labourer and the son of a labourer. Religion – Wesleyan Methodist
Gabriel Cox and his wife Louisa arrived aboard the ship Lloyds in 1839. They were resident in North Adelaide until 1844 and then at Aldinga from 1844 until his death in 1892 (48 years).
Gabriel Cox (1816-1892) had married Louisa Hackel (1816-1909) on 12 April 1838 in Tidcombe, Wiltshire, England. She was the daughter of John Hackel. They had one daughter: Treaza (Teresa) (1840-1935) m. Francis Culley (1823-1908) at the residence of Gabriel Cox in Aldinga on 31 Aug 1857.
Gabriel was a laborer and farmer who owned or leased at least 10 sections of land around the Aldinga Plains district, including sections 229, 239, 393, 394, 400, 407, 426, 427, 432 & 433. Their property, Hackle Farm, was probably named after Louisa’s family and may have been located on section 400 on the northern outskirts of what would later become the Aldinga township.
Besides being a farmer, Gabriel became an enthusiastic horsebreeder, winning prizes at Willunga Agricultural Show, and advertising his stallions for stud. He was also an active member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Aldinga.
Gabriel, aged 76 years, died on 7 Jan 1892 and Louisa, aged 93 years, died on 11 May 1909 at Aldinga. They are both buried in the Aldinga Uniting (Methodist) Church Cemetery.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- SA Census 1841
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- South Australian 22 Oct 1847:1
- South Australian Gazette 12 Sept 1850
- South Australian Register 21 Sept 1853:3
- South Australian Register 4 May 1854:2
- South Australian Register 12 Sept 1856:3
- South Australian Register 3 Sept 1857:2
- Adelaide Observer 9 Aug 1862:8
- Evening Journal 15 March 1882:2
- The Advertiser 9 Jan 1892:3
- South Australian Register 12 Jan 1892:4
- Adelaide Observer 23 Jan 1892:29
- Chronicle Adelaide 22 May 1909:45
- Cyclopedia of South Australia 1907-8