|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1821|
|Place of birth||Trewse Hall, Trowse with Newton in Norfolk, England|
|Date of arrival||1848|
|Principal occupation||Farmer and horse breeder|
|Date of death||1908|
|Place of decease||Aldinga|
Francis Culley was the oldest son of Benjamin Culley (1788-1833) and Elizabeth Drake (1795-1827). He was born at Trewse Hall, Trowse with Newton in Norfolk, England on 16 May 1821. He was Wesleyan Methodist. Francis Culley, aged 25, was a farmer and shearer who arrived in South Australia on 14 August 1848 with his younger brother, Thomas, aged 20, in steerage onboard Gratitude from London. Thomas Culley (1828-1884) lived at Willunga.
Francis Culley married Treaza (Teresa) Cox (1840-1935) at the residence of her father Gabriel Cox (Hackle Farm) in Aldinga on 31 August 1857. They had nine children:
- Frank (1859-1859) was born and died as an infant at Aldinga. He is buried in the Willunga Uniting Cemetery.
- Francis Gabriel (1860-1946) was born at Aldinga and married Lilya (Lily) A. Pethick (1858-1939) at Trinity Church, Adelaide on 13 April 1881. She was the daughter of John Pethick and Mary Ann Male. They had eight children and lived at Willunga. Francis died at Norwood and is buried in Willunga Uniting Cemetery.
- Thomas Henry (1862-1955) was born at Aldinga and married Asenath Lovelock (1863-1931) at the Wesleyan Chapel, Aldinga on 12 February 1883. She was the daughter of Henry Lovelock and Grace Dunstan .They had four children and lived at Willunga. Thomas died at Willunga and is buried at Aldinga Uniting Cemetery.
- Edith Louisa (1865-1943) was born at Aldinga and was possibly unmarried. She died at Glenelg, SA.
- Ashley Cox (1867-1956) was born at Willunga and married Gertrude Herrick (1884-1966) in July 1907 at Adelaide. She died at Adelaide and is buried at Aldinga Uniting Cemetery.
- Florence Elizabeth (1869-1915) was born at Aldinga and was possibly unmarried. She died at Hastings, New Zealand.
- John Hurtle (1872-1966) was born at Aldinga and married Margaret Annie Maud Pridham (1874-1952) on 5 April 1898 at the Aldinga Uniting Church. They had five children. John died at Aldinga and is buried at Aldinga Uniting Cemetery.
- Benjamin Ernest (1875-1943) was born at Aldinga and married Mabel Lucy Symonds (1881-1964) at Yankalilla in 1912. She died at Mount Barker, SA.
- Ada May (1878-1924) was born at Aldinga and married Thomas Darwin Eatts (1887-1970) on 24 November 1917 at the Maughan Church, Adelaide.
Francis Culley was a farmer and horse breeder at Aldinga. He had 77 acres in the Hundred of Willunga before 1850 (section 602). The family lived at Woodside Farm by 1861 and had extensive land holdings, firstly south of Aldinga and on the hills between Willunga and Sellick’s Hill, where they ran sheep. Then, around 1882, Francis Culley moved some of his land holdings to the east of the township of Willunga (sections 306, 440 & 703) and at the top end of Taylor’s Hill Road (sections 1769-773).
Francis attended a dinner to farewell Samuel White in 1853 on his temporary return to England.
Francis died at Aldinga on 16 May 1908 and Treaza (nee Cox) died in 1936. They were both buried at Aldinga Uniting Cemetery.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- South Australian Register 16 Aug 1848:3
- South Australian Register 3 Sept 1857:2
- Adelaide Observer 24 Aug 1861:8
- South Australian Register 27 Feb 1869:3
- South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail 9 July 1870:7
- South Australian Register 14 April 1881:4