|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1813|
|Place of birth||Coombhill, Stoke in Devon, England|
|Date of arrival||1840|
|Principal occupation||Quarryman, quarry owner and land owner.|
|Date of death||1879|
|Place of decease||Delabole near Willunga, South Australia|
Sampson Dawe was born at Coombhill, Stoke in Devon. He was baptised in the parish of Samford Spiney in Devon, England on 9 March 1813. Religion – Church of England. He was the son of John Dawe (c.1779-1856) and Elizabeth Rundell (c.1774-1839). He was the older brother Henry Dawe (1816-1849) and the cousin of William Dawe (1814-1850).
Sampson married Jane Elizabeth Gregory (1817-22/03/1882) and they had at least five children (two sons and three daughters): Elizabeth (01/1840 – 23/01/1867, m. Georg H.W. Schunke on 05/01/1865 at Willunga), John Henry (05/03/1844 – 01/01/1907), Tabitha (14/05/1846 – 21/08/1859, unmarried), Jane (18/09/1849 - 1902, m. Georg H.W. Schunke in 1868) and William (08/07/1853 – 03/1854, unmarried)
Sampson Dawe (26) with his wife Jane Elizabeth (23) and their infant daughter Elizabeth, and his cousin William (25) with his wife Mary Anne (21) and their infant son William Henry, left Gravesend on 5 March 1840 and arrived on 17 June 1840 on board the 453-ton barque Charles Kerr, Captain Arnold, from London, Gravesend, and Deal to Port Adelaide.
Sampson Dawe was the manager of Loud’s quarry just outside Willunga from 1840. Subsequently in 1841 he found slate on his own property of 207 acres in sections 758 and 1150 (later called the Delabole quarry). On 28 August 1845 Sampson Dawe and Thomas Polkinghorne took up the lease for Martin’s quarry on 35 acres of section 1008 near Willunga. He also held a timber license in 1845/6. Sampson Dawe was an active member of the Anglican church of St. Stephen’s including serving as a Churchwarden in 1849. When his brother Henry died in 1849, Sampson assumed responsibility for his widow and newly born son, Henry, and when his cousin William Dawe died in 1850 he also became responsible for his widow and six more children.
About 1855 Sampson had a two story residence built by George Sara at 17 St. Andrews Terrace. In his later years (after about 1860), Sampson Dawe was sometimes known as Sampson Dawe senior to distinguish him from his nephew Sampson Dawe junior (1841-1911) who was a blacksmith in St Andrews Terrace, Willunga. Sampson Dawe, aged 66 years, died on 22 Nov 1879 at Delabole near Willunga and he was buried at St. Stephen’s Anglican Cemetery at Willunga.
- Adelaide Observer 16 Aug 1845:1
- Adelaide Observer 23 May 1846:4
- Adelaide Observer 8 Oct 1847:5
- Adelaide Observer 21 April 1849:e
- Adelaide Observer 26 July 1856:5
- Family Histories. D. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder 40-4
- South Australian 26 Sept 1845:2
- South Australian Advertiser 18 Nov 1858:3
- South Australian Register 24 Nov 1849:2
- South Australian Register 5 April 1850:3
- South Australian Register 5 April 1872:3
- South Australian Register 16 May 1877:2
- The Express and Telegraph 27 Nov 1879:2