Deane, Edward Henry
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1826|
|Place of birth||Cork, Ireland|
|Date of arrival||c. 1850|
|Principal occupation||Mounted Policeman|
|Date of death||1918|
|Place of decease||Hindmarsh, South Australia.|
Edward Henry Deane was born in Cork, Ireland on 23 April 1826. He was the second son, and one of twelve children, of Kyrl Allen Deane (1803-1878) and Mary Lucinda Gregg ( - 1886). Kyrl Allen Deane appears to have deserted his wife, Mary, in Calais, France in about 1849. He arrived in South Australia with at least four of his sons, including Edward Henry - then aged 14 - in about 1850. At the age of 75, Kyrl Deane married Rosanna Reed, aged 42 years, at Trinity Church in 1878 shortly before his death. He was Church of England.
Edward Henry Deane was appointed as a Mounted Police constable on 11 April 1866. He served briefly on Yorke Peninsula and then spent a year at Willunga from October 1866 until October 1867. He went on to serve at a total of 16 different stations, including Mount Pleasant, Wellington, Truro, Gladstone, Gawler, Moonta, Ororoo and Mount Gambier. He was promoted to Corporal, Sergeant and finally retired as a sub-Inspector of Police in Mount Gambier in 1908.
On 2 July 1869. Edward Henry Deane, aged 32 years, married Elizabeth Toole, whose father was James Henry Base ( -1926) at St. Martin’s Church in Campbelltown, South Australia. They had nine children:
- Allen Charles (1870-1925) married Elsie Margaret Cluzy in 1916. He died at Crystal Brook.
- Herbert Edward (1871-1915) died at West Hindmarsh.
- Kathleen May (1872- ) married William Louis Rehder.
- Alice Lillian (1874-1954) was unmarried. She died at Joslin.
- Earnest Wellington (1876-1876) died at Wellington.
- Francis Richard (1877-1948) married Mary Ella Jane Moyse in 1909. He died at Murray Bridge.
- Ernest Gregg (1879-1957) married Mary Helen Farrar in 1906. He died at Thebarton.
- Annie Eva (1881-1943) married Robert Turner Latimer in 1906.
- Laura Helena (1884- ) married Archie Frith Davey in 1916.
Edward Henry Deane retired in 1908 to live in Hindmarsh and died, aged 82 years, at Hindmarsh on 28 September 1918.
- Police Gazette 4 May 1866:1
- The Adelaide Express 4 May 1866:4
- South Australian Weekly Chronicle 25 Aug 1866:6
- Adelaide Observer 9 Nov 1867:3
- Adelaide Observer 2 Oct 1869:13
- Evening Journal 13 Dec 1869:2
- Police Gazette 22 Jan 1873:10
- Southern Argus 13 Feb 1874:3
- Police Gazette 15 Dec 1875:198
- Evening Journal 28 July 1876:3
- Gawler Standard 27 March 1880:3
- Kapunda Herald 1 July 1881:3
- South Australian Weekly Chronicle 26 April 1884:8
- The Express and Telegraph 23 May 1895:2
- Chronicle 29 Oct 1898:15
- Critic 2 Oct 1918:8
- The Mount Barker and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser 4 Oct 1918:2
- Leadbeater Maureen M. South Australian Police 1938-1920. Family History SA. See https://www.familyhistorysa.org/sahistory/police.html South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972.