|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1837|
|Place of birth||High Peak, Glossop, Derbyshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1862|
|Principal occupation||Labourer and miller|
|Date of death||1902|
|Place of decease||Aldinga|
Joseph (“Joe”) Denton was born on 10 October 1837 at High Peak, Glossop, Derbyshire, England. He was the son of Eli Denton (1812-1894) and Mary Bradbury (1816-1884). Joseph arrived in Australia, aged 24 years, aboard Britannia on 31 March 1862. He was Wesleyan Methodist.
Joseph, aged 29 years, married Emily Davis (1844-1942), aged 23 years, on 11 September 1867 at the residence of the Reverend David Badger at Morphett Vale. She was the daughter of William Davis (1795-1887) and Mary Hatford (1811-1885) of Aldinga. They had eight children, all born at Aldinga between 1867 and 1885:
- Eli (1867-1941) was born at Aldinga and married Edith Agnes Knill (1871-1951) on 25 September 1890 at Adelaide. He was a teacher and they lived at Edithburgh, Parkville and later Adelaide. They had one daughter who died at Adelaide, SA and is buried in the West Terrace Cemetery.
- Joseph (1869-1952) was born at Aldinga and married Ruth Matilda Olley ( -1942) on 8 November 1899 at Saddleworth. He was a storekeeper and wheat-buyer at Farrell Flat. They had seven children. Jospeh died at Farrell Flat and is buried at Saddleworth, SA.
- Mary May (1872-1958) was born at Aldinga and married Louis Herbert O’Sullivan (1871-1942) on 7 July 1909 at St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide. They had two daughters. Mary died at Adelaide, SA and is buried at Morphett Vale, SA.
- Edwin Fletcher (1875-1948) was born at Aldinga and married (1st) Sarah Phyllis Hickman (1866-1907) on 17 September 1902 in Hobart, Tasmania, and (2nd) Lillian Bottrall (1884-1969) on 17 November 1921 at Adelaide, SA. Edwin died at Adelaide, SA.
- Thomas Elford (1877-1958) was born at Aldinga and married Alice Ellen Rogers (1884-1982) in March 1905 in Adelaide, SA. They had two children. Thomas died in South Australia.
- Amelia (1880-1960) was born at Aldinga and married Hugo Ernest Aldenhoven (1879-1944). They had three children. Amelia died in South Australia.
- John Richard (Jack) (1882-1962) was born at Aldinga and married Anna Josephine Blucher (1885-1965) in Burra on 5 July 1905. They had four children. John died in South Australia.
- Frances Emily (1885-1966) was born at Aldinga and married Hugh Hart (1884-1955) in Malvern on 18 January 1906. They had four children. Frances died at Hackney, SA.
Joseph Denton was a labourer and perhaps later a miller, who lived in the Aldinga area for nearly 40 years from the 1860s until his death in 1902. In 1868 and 1869, he paid rates on a house in section 229 in Whites Valley on land owned by Samuel White. Then, from 1872 until 1878, he paid rates on a house on section 401 in Aldinga East. Joseph Denton, laborer of Aldinga, purchased the land at Lot 7 (6 Adey Road) in Aldinga East from Thomas Wood in May 1878. From 1879 until at least 1888 (when the available records cease) he paid rates on two blocks of land in section 401 (one ninth and one third of an acre). Joseph Denton, and later his widow Emily, owned the cottage at 6 Adey Road for nearly thirty years (1878-1907).
Joseph Denton died by drowning on 22 November 1902 after throwing himself down a well. The inquest ruled “suicide while of unsound mind”. Joseph’s widow, Emily, inherited the land after his death and she sold it to Walter Gordon, laborer of Aldinga, in June 1907. Emily Denton (née Davis), died aged 98 years, on 1 October 1942.
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SAILIS CT15/19
- SA Directories – Aldinga 1883-1902
- South Australian Register 31 Aug 1869:4
- The Advertiser 25 Nov 1902:7