|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1816|
|Place of birth||Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1853|
|Date of death||1899|
|Place of decease||Goodwood, SA|
John Eaton was born in about 1816 at Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, England, the son of John Eaton (1785-1845) and Sarah Cooper (1790-1827). He was Wesleyan Methodist.
John Eaton married Elizabeth Gale (1817-1890) on 25 March 1839 at Warmington, Northamptonshire, England. They had two children:
- Robert (1841-1930) was born at Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, England. He married Mary Jane Dawe (1847-1910) and they had 14 children. Robert died at Warracknabeal, Victoria.
- Sarah Ann (1843-1923) was born at Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, England. She married Richard Thomas Polkinghorne (1844-1885), the son of Richard Polkinghorne (1808-1873), on 6 April 1865 at the residence of John Foreman at Goodwood, South Australia. They had seven children. She died in South Australia.
John (37) and Elizabeth (36) Eaton with their children Robert (12) and Sarah Ann (10), arrived aboard William Stewart on 13 July 1853 and the family settled at Willunga.
John Eaton was an agricultural labourer and he leased or rented lot 107 at the corner of St Mary’s St and Church Street, paying rates for a house and garden in the Willunga township from 1865 until 1883. This land was owned by quarry owner Thomas Martin (1825-1900) from 1859 until his death in 1900 (CT 6/145)
Elizabeth Eaton (nee Gale), aged 74 years, died at Willunga on 29 November 1890. John Eaton, aged 84 years, died at Goodwood on 9 May 1899.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SAILIS (CT 6/145)
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- The Express and Telegraph 1 Dec 1890:2
- The Express and Telegraph 9 May 1899:2