Ellbourne, Arthur Edward Field
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1835|
|Place of birth||Wake Regis, Dorset, England|
|Date of arrival||1857|
|Principal occupation||Labourer and Contractor|
|Date of death||1911|
|Place of decease||Port Willunga|
Arthur Edward Field Ellbourn(e) was born on 19 July 1835 at Wake Regis, Dorset, England. He was the son of William Adam Ellbourne (1805-1870) and Ann Fall (1808-1880).
Apparently, as a young man, he had spent some time in the Royal Navy on board HMS Victory in Portsmouth Harbour and then HMS Highflyer, which covered the landing of the troops at Balaklava during the Crimean War in 1854. He received a silver medal for his involvement.
Arthur arrived in Sydney aboard John Bunyan on 27 October 1857 at age 21. His religion was recorded as Church of England and he was listed as literate on arrival.
Arthur married Mary Jane Matthews (1838-1874) on 28 April 1864 at St Stephen’s Anglican Church in Willunga. Mary Jane had been born in Cornwall, England. She came out to South Australia on board Duchess of Northumberland in 1847 with her parents, Thomas Matthews (1804-1889) and Grace (née Bennetts) (1803-1888), and her other siblings. Her mother, Grace, was the sister of James Bennetts (1793-1883).
Arthur and Mary Jane lived at Aldinga and Arthur was listed as a labourer and contractor in Aldinga. In total, Arthur Ellbourne had 19 children by two wives, with his first child being born in 1865 and the last, 33 years later, in 1898.
Arthur and Mary Jane had 8 children together:
- William Arthur (1865-1947) was born in Aldinga. He married Alice Tryphena Pratt (1878-1902) from Korunye in 1898. They had 6 children. When Alice died in 1902, he re-married, to Louisa Jane Pratt, in 1903. They had 6 children. He was a farmer and labourer. He died in 1947 in Korunye and is buried at Two Wells.
- Elizabeth Jane (1866-1867) was born on 7 May 1866 in Aldinga and passed away on 17 May 1867.
- Louisa Jane (1867-1868) was born on 22 October 1867 at Sellicks Hill and passed away in April 1868.
- John (1869-1897) was born on 6 September 1869 in Aldinga and passed away on 28 June 1897 in Adelaide.
- Joseph John (1871-1949) was born 12 September 1871 at Sellicks Hill. He married Maud Emma Cliff (1886-1972) on 24 September 1907 and they had 11 children. He passed away on 6 March 1949 and is buried in the Uniting Cemetery in Aldinga with his wife.
- Louisa Jane (“Lucy”) (1873-1916) was born on 8 January 1873 at Sellicks Hill. She married John Little Thompson Jnr (1860-1918) on 22 June 1897 at the Presbyterian Church, Flinders Street, Adelaide. They had 4 children. She passed away on 2 August 1916 in Wentworth, NSW.
- Mary Jane junior was born as one of twins on 2 September 1874 at Port Willunga. She married Alfred Albert Andersson (1880-1981) on 26 April 1900 in Adelaide. They had 8 children together. She passed away on 4 August 1947 in Adelaide.
- Stillborn Infant, twin of Mary Jane, born on 2 September 1874 at Port Willunga.
Mary Jane passed away on 2 September 1874 at Port Willunga, giving birth to twins - see above.
Arthur re-married, to Charlotte Jane Harrison (1861-1933), on 24 April 1877 in Adelaide. Charlotte was born on 22 December 1861 in Aldinga and was the daughter of Francis Harrison (1836-1890) and Caroline Baldwin (1837-1920). Francis had come to Australia in 1856 on board Gomelza.
Charlotte Jane was only 16 when she married 42 year old Arthur. They had 11 children together:
- Caroline (1877-1964) was born 4 May 1877 in Aldinga. She married Carl Falckenhagen (1878-1910) on 7 April 1898 at the Goodwood Baptist Church. They had one daughter. Carl passed away in 1910 and Caroline remarried, to Thomas Joseph Osborne, in 1910. Caroline passed away in 1964 in East Fremantle, WA.
- Elizabeth (1879-1903) was born on 27 April 1879 in Aldinga. She married Charles Lapidge (1871-1938) on 22 January 1903 and passed away on 21 July 1903. She is buried in West Terrace Cemetery.
- Jean (1881-1935) was born on 14 June 1881 in Aldinga. She married Robert Dunlop Hogarth (1882-1919) at Aldinga on 14 May 1909. She passed away on 24 December 1935 in Ardrossan.
- Ada (1883-1975) was born 11 December 1883 in Aldinga. She married Owen James Button (1884-1939) on 18 June 1907 at the Methodist Church, Aldinga. They had one son. She passed away on 18 March 1975 in Lockleys.
- Henry (1886-1935) was born on 5 May 1886 in Aldinga. He died on 3 December 1936 and is buried in the Aldinga Uniting Church Cemetery.
- Millie May (1888-1973) was born on 4 September 1888 in Aldinga. She married Charles Edward Schmidt (1884-1968) at the Methodist Church, Aldinga, on 19 May 1914. They had two children. Millie passed away on 19 November 1973 at Mile End and is buried in Centennial Park Cemetery, Goodwood.
- Walter (1891-1965) was born in 1891 in Port Willunga. He married Elfreda McBurney (1892-1963) on 3 April 1913 at Willunga. They had 5 children. He passed away on 15 April 1965 and is buried with his wife in the Aldinga Uniting Cemetery.
- Roy Edward (1893-1895) was born 3 December 1893 and passed away on 20 March 1895 at Port Willunga.
- Dorothy Gwendoline (1896-1966) was born 8 January 1896 in Port Willunga. She married Matthew Ross Kendall Hunt (1891-1963) on 8 March 1915 in Goodwood. They had 2 children. She passed away on 29 July 1966 in Victor Harbor and is buried in the General Cemetery there.
- Hazel Tryphena (1898-1980) was born on 17 May 1898 in Port Willunga. She married Frank Moore (1894-1955) at the Methodist manse, McLaren Vale. They had 2 daughters. She died on 2 April 1980 and is buried in Centennial Park, Goodwood.
- Dorothea Louisa was born on 11 May 1898 and passed away on 2 June 1898 in Port Willunga.
Arthur paid rates from 1870 on Allotment 16, Section 391, known as “The Dairy”, on East Street, Port Willunga. The building is a low-lying, symmetrical cottage with many outbuildings that would have housed the dairy, animals etc. Charlotte sold milk and butter from these premises and lived there until her death in 1933. There is a geometrical pattern across the front of the building with the words “Dairy” spelt out to the left side of the building.
Arthur passed away on 30 November 1911 at Port Willunga and is buried in the Aldinga Methodist (Uniting) Cemetery. Charlotte passed away on February 28th, 1938, aged 74, and is also buried in the Aldinga Methodist/Uniting Cemetery next to her husband, Arthur, and their son, Henry.
- South Australian Births - Index of Registrations 1842 – 1906
- South Australian Marriages - Index of Registrations 1842 – 1937
- South Australian Deaths - Index of registrations 1842 - 1972
- Ratepayers List from Willunga and Aldinga Councils Assessment Records 1850 – 1888
- South Australian Maritime Records - Passengers in History Records
- South Australians 1836 - 1885 (Book 1 A-L) - published by the South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society
- Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 - 4 Volumes - by J. Stratton (1986 edition)
- South Australians 1836-1885 - 2 Volumes - by J. Thomas (1990 edition)
- National Trust Courthouse Museum Research Room Willunga
- SAILIS - South Australian Integrated Land Information System Website
- www.slsa.sa.gov.au - State Library of South Australia
- 1841 Census Records - www.archives.sa.gov.au