|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1806|
|Place of birth||Harberton, Devon, England|
|Date of arrival||1839|
|Date of death||1867|
|Place of decease||McLaren Flat|
Henry Elliot was born in Harberton, Devon, England in about 1806. He was the son of William Elliott (1748-1829) and Mary (nee Lowery) (1779-1846).
Henry married Mary Ann Ferris (1810-1883) on 2 Sept 1830 at Harberton, Devon. She was the daughter of Phillip Ferris (1789-1853) and Elizabeth Langmead (1775-1862) and was born at Harburtonford, Devon, England. Religion – Bible Christian, Methodist.
Henry, his wife Mary Ann (nee Ferris) and three children (Mary Ann (8), Henry junior (5) and Matilda (infant) arrived in South Australia on board Duchess of Northumberland on 19 Nov 1839. They eventually had nine children:
- Mary Ann (1831-1911) b. at Harberton, Devon, m. Daniel Stephens (1826-1897) on 22 March 1849 at Willunga, d. at McLaren Flat
- William Lowery (1832-1838) b. & d. at Harberton, Devon, died as a child
- Henry junior (1834-1875) b. at Harburtonford, Devon, m. 1st Sarah Sophia Mason (1836-1866) on 11 May 1855 at Willunga, 2nd Elizabeth Balchin (1849-1934) on 16 Apr 1872 at the residence of Henry Elliott, d. at Aldinga
- Matilda Ferris (1839-1934) b. at Totnes, Devon, m. 1st Frederick Greenfield (1834-1874) on 16 Oct 1860 at Willunga, 2nd Frederick Richard George Martin (1832-1906) on 1 Oct 1879 at the residence of the bride’s mother, d. at McLaren Vale
- Charles (1841-1894) b. at McLaren Vale, m. 1st Sarah Ann Michelmore (1843-1871) on 28 Apr 1864 at the residence of Mrs Jane Michelmore, Meadows, they lived at McLaren Flat, 2nd Louisa Michelmore (1850-1883) on 27 Mar 1873 at the residence of Mrs Jane Michelmore, Meadows, 3rd Mrs. Joanna Harvey Polkinghorne (widow of William Henry Polkinghorne (1839-1882) (nee Matthews) (1841-1930) (parents - Thomas Matthews & Grace Bennetts) on 9 Oct 1884 at Willunga, they lived at Willunga.
- Emily Grenville (1844-1910) b. at McLaren Vale, m. Rev. Henry Mason (1835-1896) on 20 Apr 1865 at the residence of the bride’s father at McLaren Flat, d. at Glanville, SA
- Elizabeth Ferris (1846-1925) b. at McLaren Vale, m. John Binney (1843-1935) on 23 Oct 1866 at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Willunga, d. at Willunga & buried in St. Stephen’s Anglican Church Cemetery, Willunga,
- Robert (1849-1916) b. at McLaren Vale, m. Sussanah Oakley (1851-1915) on 12 May 1873 at the residence of Henry Mason, Mount Torrens (parents Samuel Oakley and Eliza Taylor, d. at McLaren Flat
- Eliza (1853-1945) m. Samuel Strout (1851-1911) on 31 Oct 1878 at the Baptist Church, Adelaide
The Elliott family was resident in District C at the time of the 1841 SA Census, probably living near or with William Colton and Charles Hewett at McLaren Vale. Henry Elliot was a farmer at McLaren Vale and McLaren Flat. He paid rates on sections 510 (80 acres, later 20 acres) and 716 (80 acres) in 1850-56, then 501 and 502 (40 acres each) and 492 (80 acres) in 1853-56. These sections lie on and near Kangarilla Road, to the east of McLaren Vale.
Henry Elliot signed the memorial (petition) from Willunga District residents on 18 April 1846 objecting to the closure of the Willunga Police Station. In 1849 the Road Commissioners levied a rate of twopence per acre on the residents of the Willunga District, payable in May 1850. Henry Elliot owed 1 6s 8d for his 160 acres and another 13s 4d on 80 acres that he shared with Edward Harris.
Henry Elliott, aged 61 years, died on 10 Sept 1867 and Mary Ann (nee Ferris), aged 73 years, died on 15 July 1883. They both died at McLaren Flat.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SA Census 1841
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Family Histories. E. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder 40-4
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1
- Thomas J. (ed) 1990. South Australians 1836-1885 Book One A-L
- South Australian Register 13 July 1839:2