|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1827|
|Place of birth||Bearsted, Kent, England|
|Date of arrival||1839|
|Principal occupation||Farmer and land holder|
|Date of death||1895|
|Place of decease||Hilda’s Dale Farm, Aldinga|
Lewis Fidge was born in Bearsted in Kent, England in 1827. He was the eldest son of John Fidge and Harriet (nee Bourn) and he arrived in South Australia as a 12 year old with his parents on board the 541-ton ship Duchess of Northumberland on 19 Dec 1839. Religion – Church of England.
Lewis, aged 23 years, married Elizabeth Knight Winzor (1830-1875), aged 20 years, (oldest daughter of John Winzor and Harriet Constable) at St. Johns Church, Adelaide in 1850. They had six children (five girls and one boy):
Hilda (1853-1901) m. Thomas Pengilly jun. (son of Thomas Pengilly) at the Baptist Chapel, Morphett Vale in 1875
Lewis (1856-1911) m. Esther Radford at St. Stephen’s, Willunga in 1880, farmer at Noarlunga
Eleanor (1859-1913) m. Dennis Broughton at St. Stephen’s, Willunga in 1880
Wilfred (1862-1893) m. Philippa Ann Pethick at St. Stephen’s, Willunga in 1883, farmer at Aldinga?
May (1864-1922) m. Robert Corney Eyes at the Church of Christ, Melbourne in 1900
Ada (1867-1929) m. Albert Alfred Winzor at Trinity Church, Adelaide in 1888
Lewis Fidge was a farmer and horse breeder. Aged 22 years, he first purchased land in 1849 when he bought section 7555 (80 acres) followed in 1853 by section 9676, both at the Gawler River. In 1856 his father John Fidge transferred his half of section 401 at Aldinga to Lewis Fidge. In 1857 Lewis Fidge subdivided part of section 401 into allotments called Aldinga village selling Lot 3 (on Little Road) to George Lovelock junior and Lot 7 (6 Adey Road) to Henry Gale. By 1858, Lewis Fidge owned five sections of land at Myponga as well as section 622, half an acre which was part of section 229 (formerly owned by Richard Powell), lots 81 and 82 at Willunga. Richard Powell had mortgaged the land to Lewis Fidge in 1862 (CT24/11) which he discharged in 1864 and immediately remortgaged. Fidge, as mortgagee, sold the land to Thomas Murray in 1869.
Lewis Fidge was elected as a councilor for Aldinga in July of 1859. Lewis Fidge named his property Hilda’s Dale in Aldinga presumably after his oldest daughter and he lived there from about 1866 until his death in 1895. After Lewis’ death in 1895, Thomas Pengilly and his wife Hilda (nee Fidge) inherited 240 acres of land and took up farming on the Hilda’s Dale farm.
Elizabeth Fidge, aged 45 years, died on 7 Sept 1875 and the subsequent inquest found that “her system was much weakened by intemperance”. Lewis Fidge, aged 68 years, died on 22 Dec 1895 at Aldinga. Like his wife he, too, was “of intemperate habits” and had been “in failing health for many years’. Lewis and Elizabeth are both buried in the Aldinga Uniting Church Cemetery. On his death in 1895 Lewis Fidge left an estate of £10,400 owning more than 20 sections of land including half of section 401 (40 acres) which he left to his youngest daughter May Fidge.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SA Census 1841
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Adelaide Chronicle 10 March 1860:1
- Evening Journal 2 April 1875:2
- The Express and Telegraph 2 Sept 1875:2
- The Express and Telegraph 3 Sept 1875:2
- South Australian Register 12 April 1880:4
- South Australian Register 30 April 1880:4
- Evening Journal 24 Dec 1895:2
- South Australian Register 28 Dec 1895:6
- The Advertiser 4 Feb 1896:6
- The Advertiser 4 Feb 1896:6
- Evening Journal 17 March 1900:4