Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

National Trust Willunga branch.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Free Presbyterian Church Whites Valley

From Willunga
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: "Wee Free" Church
Address: Free Lane
Town or Locality: Whites Valley
Year constructed: 1856
Year demolished or re-purposed:
Used for: Presbyterian Church services
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.
The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.
  • "{{{Site type}}}" is not in the list of possible values (Land section, Landmark, Natural feature) for this property.
  • The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.

In 1854 Reverend James Benny from Morphett Vale suggested to the Presbyterian Scottish settlers in the Aldinga District that they should build a church. In December 1855 they resolved to form a congregation and build a church. In 1856 Duncan Stewart donated a part of section 241 to the Trustees of the Free Presbyterian Church and Reverend James Benny laid the foundation stone in May 1856.

The Church was a simple rectangular building with opportunity to extend and cost £560 to complete. It was intended to seat up to 150 people and the opening service was held on 14 December 1856. The Free Presbyterian Church was based on the Scottish Free Kirk and was known locally as “the Wee Free”.

Initially there were nine church trustees mainly drawn from the Scottish Presbyterian families in the district including Duncan Stewart, Finlay McIvor, Archibald McCallum, Thomas Hodges, Donald and Malcolm McKenzie, Finlay, John and Farquar McRae. Other local families who were part of the congregation over the years included Butterworth, Pethick, Pengilly, Forrest, Button, Greenlees, Cameron and Shepherd.

At first there was no resident ordained minister but in 1859 Alexander Anderson, a student minister, was appointed on a stipend of £100 per year and a rent free house. Over the years the congregation found it difficult to raise sufficient money to provide a continuous salary for a Minister. As a result regular services were discontinued in 1875, the congregation had declined to 32 by 1879 and by 1882 the Church had closed.

It has since fallen into disrepair and only the shell of the structure remains.

The ruins are on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (#537).

Sources

  • Adelaide Observer 6 Dec 1856:1
  • Adelaide Observer 18 Dec 1858:2



Memories of Free Presbyterian Church Whites Valley

Do you remember Free Presbyterian Church Whites Valley ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share