|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1849|
|Place of birth||Tintagel, Cornwall, England|
|Date of arrival||1865|
|Date of death||1907|
|Place of decease||Adelaide Hospital|
William Herring was born at Tintagel, Cornwall, England on 28 January 1842. He was the son of William Herring (1814-1899) and Anna Kernick (1818-1880), who was the sister of James Kernick senior (1822-1905). William Herring, aged 26 years, arrived in South Australia aboard Burlington from Plymouth on 1 May 1865.
William Herring was a quarryman, pound-keeper and farmer. He paid rates on section 759 (110 acres) located south of Willunga on Range Road West from 1870 to 1872. He also paid rates from 1873 until at least 1883 on a town allotment and a house in section 268, within the township of Willunga, and on another allotment, section 700, in Beltunga.
William Herring married Louisa Ann Chenoweth (1848-1924) on 25 April 1867 at the Sellick’s Hill Wesleyan Chapel. She was born at Camelford, Cornwall, and was the second daughter of William Chenoweth (1817-1904) and his wife, Elizabeth (née Lukey) (1820-1896), of Sellick’s Hill. Theirs was the first marriage in the chapel and the bride was presented with a bible and hymn-book. They had fourteen children:
- William (1869-1869) was born and died as an infant at Willunga.
- William Francis (1870-1886) was born and died as a child at Willunga. He is buried in the Willunga Uniting Church Cemetery.
- Albert (1871-1947) was born at Willunga and married Annie Josephine Sullivan (1873-1964) on 24 April 1907 at Goodwood. He died at Eastwood, SA.
- Frederick John (1873-1938) was born at Willunga and married Mildred Hart (1893-1984) of Curramulka on 17 April 1915 at Minlaton. He died at Prospect, SA and is buried at Dudley Park Cemetery.
- Maud Anne (1875-1957) was born at Willunga and married William Laing (1858-1942) on 28 June 1899 at the residence of Mrs Alexander Laing in Norwood, SA. She died at Prospect, SA.
- Emily Mabel (1876-1906) was born at Willunga and married John Holly (1867-1959) on 17 March 1897 at the residence of William Herring in Willunga. They had five children. She died at Morphett Vale, SA.
- Stanley Harold ((1878-1944) was born at Willunga and married Victoria Martha Willoughby (1876-1945) at the Methodist Parsonage, Bordertown, on 25 February 1905. He was a quarryman and died at Adelaide.
- Spencer James (1880-1966) was born at Willunga and married Phyliss Laura Grace Elliott (-1980) at the residence of Harry William Illman, Wauraltee, on 26 August 1908. They had seven children. He was a builder. They left Willunga in 1918. He died at Victor Harbor, SA.
- Joseph Llewellin (1883-1883) was born and died as an infant at Willunga.
- Catherine Louisa (1883-1911) was born at Willunga and married Joseph Reid (1870-1930) in South Africa in 14 April 1906. She died at Marryatville, SA.
- Florence Elizabeth (1884-1951) was born at Willunga and married Mark Hart (1886-1944). She died at Hindmarsh, SA.
- William Thomas (1886-1947) was born at Willunga and married Stella Rose Hillier (1896-1982). They left Willunga in 1921. He died at Bordertown, SA.
- Percival Martin (1891-1969) was born at Willunga and married, firstly, Elizabeth Alderson (1889-1930) on 13 October 1915 and, secondly, Ida King (1889-1971), who was a widow, on 5 November 1932. He was a carpenter and builder at Willunga. He died at Willunga and is buried in the Willunga Uniting Church Cemetery.
- Gladys May (1893-1949) was born at Willunga and died at Prospect, SA.
William Herring died while having surgery for cancer at the Adelaide Hospital on 30 December 1907. Louise Ann Herring (née Chenoweth) died at Willunga on 17 August 1924. They are both buried in the Willunga Uniting Church Cemetery.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Adelaide Observer 11 May 1867:2
- Evening Journal 31 Dec 1907:1