|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||c. 1819|
|Place of birth||Lincolnshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1846|
|Date of departure||c. 1855|
|Date of death||1878|
|Place of decease||Yorketown, South Australia.|
Joseph Hill was born in about 1819. His father was John Hill of Waddingham in Lincolnshire and Joseph lived in Lincolnshire before emigrating to South Australia. His brother was Richard Hill.
Joseph Hill, aged about 27 years, married Isabella Ellis (1824-1868) on 4 May 1846 at Barrow-on-Humber, Lincolnshire. They arrived in South Australia on board the ship Hooghly on 19 June 1846 with his cousin Robert Atkinson and his new wife, Mary Ann (nee Aldham).
Joseph was a farmer at Willunga for nearly a decade between 1846 and 1855 and, later, at Yorketown in South Australia.
They had 10 children:
- Sarah (1847-1934) was born at Willunga and married Mr Stinchcombe at Warvers Flat, Yorke Peninsula in 1874.
- Joseph (1848-1873) was born at Willunga.
- John (1850-1943) was born at Willunga and married Louisa Ann Treloar at Clare, SA on 4 August 1873. He died at Northam, WA.
- Martha (1851-1934) was born at Willunga and married Mr Barnes. She died at Portland, Victoria.
- Ann (1853- ) was born at Willunga.
- George (1855-1942) married Ann Thurman Morris (1854-1943) at the Wesleyan Chapel, Glenburn, near Yankalilla, on 13 July 1876. He died at Perth, WA.
- Robert (1856-1930) was born at One Stone Gully, SA, and married Emma Elizabeth Watson on 4 February 1878 at the residence of the bride’s father at Koolywurtie, SA. He died at Jeparit, Victoria.
- William John (1858-1907) married Hannah Pitt on 27 August 1885.
- Charles (1860-1935) was born at Yoho Creek.
- Richard (1862-1942) was born at Glenburn.
- Mary (1863- ) was born at Glenburn.
In 1850 and 1853, Joseph Hill paid rates on section 242 (80 acres) but, by 1855, the ratepayer for this section was listed as Richard Hill.
Joseph Hill, aged about 59 years, died on 15 September 1878 at Yorketown in South Australia. Isabella Hill (nee Ellis), aged 44 years, died on 9 August 1868 at Blythe Plains, South Australia.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Family Histories. H. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folder
- Ratepayer List. Willunga and Aldinga Councils 1850-1888. Volume 1. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch)
- SA Maritime Museum. Passengers in History Database. Hill
- South Australia. Births Index of registrations. 1842-1906
- South Australia. Deaths Index of registrations. 1842-1915
- South Australia. Marriages Index of registrations. 1842-1916
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 3.