|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1814|
|Place of birth||Gainsborough|
|Date of arrival||1839|
|Date of death||1873|
|Place of decease||Willunga|
Richard Hill was born c.1814. His father was John Hill of Waddingham in Lincolnshire and he lived in Lincolnshire before emigrating to South Australia. His brother was Joseph Hill.
Richard Hill, together with his cousins the four Atkinson brothers (William, Robert, Thomas and Joseph) and their sisters Bridget and Susanna, travelled to South Australia on board the barque Singapore from London. They arrived at Holdfast Bay on 12 November 1839, Richard Hill was then aged about 25 years.
Richard, aged 27 years, married Elizabeth Bastian, aged 18 years, (31/03/1822-27/09/1913), the eldest daughter of Sampson Bastian senior, on 3 March 1841 at Holy Trinity Church in Adelaide. They had 12 children comprising of 6 sons and 6 daughters [4 (2 sons and 2 daughters) died in infancy and 4 (2 daughters and 2 sons) died unmarried]:
Mary (1842-1927) m. Thomas Storey Aldam (1833-07/11/1883) d. aged 50 years at North Adelaide; John (1843-09/05/1844) died as an infant; Jane (04/03/1845-20/02/1931) b. & d. at Willunga aged 85 years, unmarried; Sarah (20/01/1847-12/10/1930) b. & d. at Willunga aged 83 years. m. George Atkinson (01/04/1849 -12/07/1924) on 04/10/1873 at Wesleyan Parsonage, Pirie St, Adelaide; Elizabeth (27/02/1849-23/09/1935) b. & d. at Willunga aged 85 years, unmarried; Richard (12/01/1851-12/07/1929) b. at Willunga d. at Kooringa aged 73 years. m. Elizabeth Keenor Loud (09/03/1850- ) on 8 April 1875, farmer at Willunga; Stephen (19/02/1853-10/03/1853) b. & d. at Willunga, died as an infant; John (30/12/1854-20/12/1925) m. Alice Williams Woollacott (04/081857-1932) at the residence of Mr. Woollacott, Nelson Town on 19 June 1878, d. at Goodwood aged 71 years; Robert (19/06/1857-28/02/1893) b. at Willunga, unmarried; Ann (25/08/1859-17/07/1861) b. & d. at Willunga, died as an infant; Annie (28/01/1863-09/08/1864) b. & d at Willunga, died as an infant; George (13/02/1866-28/03/1945) b. & d. at Willunga aged 79 years, unmarried.
Richard Hill lived in the Willunga district for nearly three decades from his arrival sometime before March 1845 (the birth of his second daughter Jane) until his death in June 1873. He is listed as the owner or occupier of 280 acres in the Hundred of Willunga in 1847. He called his property “Forest Farm”, because of the area being heavily timbered with large gum trees. On 8 Oct 1849 Richard Hill together with Sampson Bastian, slate dresser, and John Bastian were granted 110 acres comprising of Section 1241 (on the hillside SE of Willunga and E of Willunga S), which they paid 110 pounds and 1 shilling for. In 1850 Richard Hill paid rates on section 245 and 254 (160 acres) and also as part occupier on section 1241 (110 acres). In 1853, 1855 and 1856 he paid rates on 80 acre sections 244, 245 (78 acres with a house) and 254 and as part owner/occupier on section 1241. On 27 Dec 1856 he was granted 220 acres comprising of Section 760 (on the hillside SE of Willunga and E of Willunga S), which he paid 220 pounds and 15 shillings for. Sections 1241 and 760 are adjoining sections. In 1857 and 1858 he paid rates on sections 245, 254 and 760 (220 acres). In 1858 he purchased Lot 58 (where the current post office now stands) in the township of Willunga. In the 1860s he paid rates on land in Aldinga and Meadows as well as his Willunga landholdings and two more town allotments (258 and 268).
He attended a dinner at the Bush Inn after the Willunga Ploughing Match in July 1848 and in the same year he donated 2 acres of his land on the Aldinga Road to Saint Stephen’s Anglican Church for the establishment of a church and cemetery. This was on the western side of the Cornwall Inn [no longer in existence] on the Aldinga Road. By 1849 Richard Hill was the owner-occupier of 192 acres of land at Willunga. Richard was a partner in the Willunga Slate Quarry Ltd established in 1865. The property consisted of 10 acres of land known as Bastian’s Quarry.
He was a member of the Agricultural Society, a member of the congregation of St Stephen’s Anglican Church and a judge at the ploughing matches held in Willunga. He was also a Councillor on the Willunga District Council and a parent on the School Committee for James Bassett’s Private School in St Luke’s Street where several of his children attended.
Richard Hill, aged 59 years, died on 9 June 1873 and he is buried in St. Stephen’s Anglican Cemetery. Most of their surviving children were adults by this time but his wife Elizabeth was left with their youngest son George (aged 7). After the death of Richard Hill in 1873, Mrs Elizabeth Hill paid the rates on the land holdings in 1873 and 1874. Then his son Richard took over the sections of country land (probably on or about the time of his marriage in 1875) while Elizabeth kept one of the town allotments. Elizabeth Hill (nee Bastian) died on 27 Sept 1913 aged 91 years.
Hill Street in Willunga is named in his honour.
- Maude Aldam's notebooks
- Family Histories. H. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch). Blue folders
- Ratepayer List. Willunga and Aldinga Councils 1850-1888. Volume 1. Manuscript folder held by the National Trust (Willunga Branch)
- SA Maritime Museum. Passengers in History Database. Hill
- South Australia. Births Index of registrations. 1842-1906
- South Australia. Deaths Index of registrations. 1842-1915
- South Australia. Marriages Index of registrations. 1842-1916
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 3.