|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1842|
|Place of birth||Bull's Creek, SA|
|Principal occupation||Boot and shoe-maker|
|Date of departure||c. 1896|
|Date of death||1924|
|Place of decease||Parkside, SA|
William Illman was the fourth son of John Illman (1802-1860) and Sophia Caroline (nee Dadswell) (1814-1885). He was born at Bull’s Creek, SA on 17 April 1842. By 1843 the Illman family were resident at Willunga.
He married William Joseph Bott’s daughter, Lucy (1842-1933), at her father's residence in Willunga on 8 September 1864. They had 9 children:
- Rebecca (1865- ) was born at Willunga and married Christopher John Newcomb on 22 August 1900 at her father’s residence in Parkside.
- Ann Elizabeth (1866- ) was born at Willunga and married Samuel Wilson (1856- ) on 13 January 1897 at her father’s residence in Parkside.
- Emily (1868-1938) was born at Willunga and was unmarried.
- Lucy (1868-1944) was born at Willunga and married John Bald on 11 April 1898 at Parkside.
- Mary Ellen (1870-1950) was born at Willunga and was unmarried.
- William George (1872-1894) was born at Willunga and was unmarried.
- Francis (1874-1912) was born at Willunga and married Phoebe Sarah Clancy on 28 March 1898 in Perth, WA.
- Albert (1876-1883) was born and died at Willunga and is buried in the Willunga Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery.
- Walter (1879-1948) was born at Willunga and married Lillian Mabel Admore on 30 June 1900.
In 1869, William Illman purchased the property at 17 Aldinga Road from his father-in-law, William Joseph Bott, and ran a boot and shoe-making business there for more than twenty years.
William Illman collected the money to purchase the bell which now resides in the Bell Tree opposite the Willunga Uniting Church. The bell possibly dates from the second Wesleyan Methodist Church (1857), which was opposite the Bell Tree.
Sometime between 1895 and 1897, William and Lucy moved from Willunga to 11 Clyde Street, Parkside.
William Illman, aged 82 years, died of pneumonia at Parkside on 20 March 1924 and Lucy Illman (nee Bott), aged 91 years, died at Parkside on 11 March 1931.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 1