Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

National Trust Willunga branch.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Jacobs (formerly Dunstan), Connie

From Willunga
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of person Individual
Date of birth 1902
Place of birth Willunga


Date of death 1984
Place of decease Gladstone

Connie (Constance) Jacobs was born on 26 July 1902, the daughter of Lilini Inkerman Jacobs and his third wife, Ethel Elsie Morey. She had three sisters, Beatrix, Jeanette (Nettie) and Eunice. At the time when Connie was born, her father owned and ran the general store in Willunga. He was a member of the District Council of Willunga. Her family were active members of the Anglican Church and Connie and her sisters are noted appearing at St Stephen’s Concerts and working on stalls for the Anglican Church fair. During her school years, Connie was a frequent entrant in the academic competitions for children at the Willunga show.

By 1916 her father had died and her mother, Ethel, continued to manage the business until 1927. In 1920 Ethel also opened a refreshment room and welcomed passengers on the tourist bus as a ‘half way stop’ between Adelaide and Victor Harbor.

Connie attended Willunga Public School and, on Arbor Day 1915, she, Eunice and their mother planted three of the trees in St Andrews Terrace in honour of their cousins serving in World War 1, Pte William Jacobs, Pte Len Jacobs and Pte Sydney Arthur Jacobs. The trees were to be known as ‘The Patriotic Row’. Connie and her mother, Ethel, featured in most of the Cheer Up Society events from 1914, contributing musical items. Six of Connie’s cousins served in World War 1 and two did not return.

After the War, in 1926, Connie married Basil Dunstan, the manager of the Willunga-Bangor (later Australian Slate Quarry) Company. Basil had built his house, Glantawe, at 20 St Andrews Terrace, in 1925. This ‘house of slate’ was designed by his father John Dunstan, an architect who purchased the Bangor Quarry in 1917 and set about reviving the industry. They had a son, Martin, in 1927 and, in 1934, they separated. Connie lived in Gladstone and, when she died in 1984, was buried there.

Connie’s parents and paternal grandparents are buried in the Willunga Anglican Cemetery. Her grandparents were James Sibley Jacobs and Sarah Jacobs (nee Edwards). James was a quarryman who emigrated from Cornwall with his wife and family to Pennsylvania, later continuing to Australia in 1864, settling in Willunga.

Related Articles

Sources

  • Photo in 1913 B 55417/116 State Library
  • Chronicle Saturday 1 September 1917 p40
  • The Victor Harbor Times and Encounter Bay and Lower Murray Pilot Friday 17 January 1919 p4
  • rslvirtualmemorial.org.au/explore/people/207315
  • The Victor Harbour Times and Encounter Bay and Lower Murray Pilot Friday 17 January 1919 p4
  • Dunstan M (1978) Willunga: Town and District 1901-1925 Blackwood SA Lynton Publications



Memories of Jacobs (formerly Dunstan), Connie

Do you remember Jacobs (formerly Dunstan), Connie ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share