|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1825|
|Place of birth||Bremhill, Wiltshire, England|
|Date of arrival|| 1852
|Date of death||1889|
|Place of decease||Aldinga|
George Jones was born in Bremhill, Wiltshire, England in 1826. He was the son of William Jones (1789-1871) and Matilda Taylor (1784-1874). He was Church of England.
George, aged 20 years, married (1st) Ann Chivers (1823-1853), aged 18 years, on 29 January 1845 at Studley, Wiltshire. They had one child, Jane (1845-1927), who was born at Studley and married William Davis (1842-1920) on 20 August 1864 at Aldinga. They had nine children. Jane died at Hindmarsh, SA.
George, Ann and their daughter, Jane, emigrated to South Australia around 1852. Ann died on 30 January 1853 at Aldinga. George married (2nd) Caroline Jane Palmer (1823-1896) at Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide, on 17 April 1854. They had four children:
- Thomas William (1855-1927) who was born at Aldinga and married Mary Ellen Miller (1853-1928) on 17 October 1878 at Glenelg. They had five children. Thomas died at Unley on 4 July 1927.
- Ann Matilda (1858-1860) was born and died at Aldinga.
- Matilda Emily (1860- 1919) was born at Hindmarsh, SA. She married Henry Joseph Stevens (1862-1949) on 3 May 1884 at Adelaide. Matilda died at Croydon North, SA.
- Sarah Annie (1867-1924) was born at Aldinga and married William Henley Henley (1865-1941) on 23 January 1893 at Sturt, SA. They had seven children and Sarah died in South Australia.
George Jones was resident in Aldinga from 1853 until his death in 1889 (36 years). He may have worked as an agricultural laborer during his first years in the colony, as he does not appear to own land or to have paid rates in the district until the 1880s. He jointly paid rates with his son, Thomas William, in the early 1880s on section 219 (including White’s Flour Mill) that was then owned by Thomas Winnerah. In addition, they jointly paid rates on sections 229 (70 acres) and 230 (78 acres), both holdings also owned by Thomas Winnerah. All three sections had been owned by Samuel White before 1867.
George Jones, aged 64 years, died at Aldinga on 4 December 1889 and was buried in St. Ann’s Anglican Church Cemetery. His widow, Caroline, aged 74 years, died at Aldinga on 17 November 1896.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- SA Directories – Aldinga 1883-1889
- SAILIS J
- South Australian Chronicle 14 Dec 1889:21
- South Australian Register 19 Nov 1896:4
- Chronicle 24 Oct 1914:31
- The Advertiser 15 Dec 1927:12
- The Advertiser 16 Jan 1928:15