Jones, Thomas William
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1855|
|Place of birth||Aldinga|
|Date of departure||c. 1920|
|Date of death||1927|
|Place of decease||Unley, SA.|
Thomas William Jones was born on 2 March 1855 at Aldinga. He was the son of George Jones (1825-1889) and his second wife, Caroline Jane Palmer (1823-1896). He was baptized on 26 February 1860 at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Willunga. Religion – Church of England.
Thomas William, aged 23 years, married Mary Ellen Miller (1853-1928), aged 25 years, on 17 October 1878 at Glenelg. They had five children:
- Ada Caroline (1879-1961) was born at Aldinga and married Frederick Beith Wilson (1876-1955) at St. Ann’s Anglican Church, Aldinga. She died at McLaren Flat.
- Mary Alice May (1882-?) was born at Aldinga,
- William George (1883-1968) was born at Aldinga and married Edith Wesley Cowan (1889-1983). They had three children. William died at Malvern, SA.
- Amy Millicent (1886-1975) was born at Aldinga,
- Walter Edmund (1891-1959) was born at Aldinga and married Gwendoline Mary Cowan (1888-1966) at the residence of the bride in Two Wells, SA on 5 February 1916. He died in South Australia.
Thomas was a farmer of Aldinga from before 1883 until at least 1909. Thomas and his father, George, jointly paid rates in the early 1880s on section 219 (including White’s Flour Mill) that was owned by Thomas Winnerah. In addition, they jointly paid rates on sections 229 (70 acres) and 230 (78 acres) (both also owned by Thomas Winnerah). All three sections had been owned by Samuel White. Thomas appeared in a photo titled “Group of Aldinga Pioneers” that possibly dates to around 1901-1902.
Thomas retired around 1920 and lived in Unley. He died, aged 72 years, at Unley on 4 July 1927.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- SAILIS J SA Directories – Aldinga 1883-1909