Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

National Trust Willunga branch.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Kain's Cottage 8 St Lukes Street

From Willunga
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: Keane's Cottage, Kane's Cottage, Cain's Cottage
Address: 8 St Lukes Street
Town or Locality: Willunga
Year constructed: c. 
The date "1850s" was not understood.
Used for: Residence
Loading map...
"{{{Site type}}}" is not in the list of possible values (Land section, Landmark, Natural feature) for this property.

The original 4 roomed cottage at the front was the home of Thomas Kain (Cain, Keane, Kane) and his family in the 1850s and 1860s.

The Kain family were early Willunga settlers whose 3 acres of wheat and 3 cattle were listed in the Land Returns of 1843. Thomas was a dairyman in Willunga after his marriage to Sarah Heslin in St Joseph's Church in 1858. They had five children, one of whom, Michael, became a quarryman and married Pauline Brown.

Descendants understand that members of the Kain/Keane family at times also lived in McCaffrey Cottage in St James Street and in Rowland's Cottage on the Main Road to McLaren Vale. An early resident referred to 8 St Luke's Street as Tom Kain's 'second' cottage.

The Fox family were later occupants.

The cottage has been re-roofed and extended but retains the original brick chimneys and casement window joinery. The pug at the front has been rendered and incised with lines.

Sources

  • Ruth Baxendale and Faye Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust 2010 (1989)
Kains' Cottage, 8 St Luke's St, Willunga, 1999
Kains' Cottage, 8 St Luke's St, Willunga, 1999


Memories of Kain's Cottage 8 St Lukes Street

Do you remember Kain's Cottage 8 St Lukes Street ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share