Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

National Trust Willunga branch.

Supported by


National Trust of South Australia


Kennings, George (Constable)

From Willunga
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of person Individual
Date of birth 1824
Place of birth Buckinghamshire, England
Date of arrival 1847
Principal occupation Mounted Constable, Farmer
Date of death 1910
Place of decease Fourth Avenue, East Adelaide

George Kennings served in the Mounted Police from June 4, 1847 to October 15, 1851.

He was born in Buckinghamshire England. He became a farmhand and decided to emigrate to South Australia, arriving at Port Adelaide on March 27, 1847 on the ship, Phoebe. On June 4, soon after arriving, he joined the Mounted Constables, although his name in the Government Gazette is given as Hemmings. MC Kennings seems to have been first stationed in Gawler, and is then reported as serving in Willunga, having apprehended a suspect in a theft. While stationed at Willunga, he is reported in February 1849 giving evidence in court on another theft. George seems to have left Willunga in 1850, when Mounted Constable Moore took over the Willunga Police Station. In January 1851, he is reported at the Salt Creek Police Station and then Port Lincoln. Apparently, while in the north, his provisions were stolen and he had to survive for 3 weeks on oysters!

MC Kennings left the Police Force in October 1851. According to his obituary, George had formed part of the Gold Escort, where he would have known William Richards, but caught the gold fever and decided to become a prospector. He is recorded as consigning 20 oz 10 dwt of gold. He bought land at Cuddlee Creek and lived there with his wife, Mary Ann Chenhalls, who he married in 27 January 1853 at Christ Church, North Adelaide. His brother, John, and his family immigrated in 1855, joining George and Mary Ann at Cudlee Creek. George and Mary Ann had a large family, Marion (b. 4/3/1855), Amy (b. 15/6/1856), Annie (b. 16/10/1857), Bessie (b. 2/4/1859), William (b. 17/7/1860), Annette (b. 21/10/1861), Clara Jane (b. 1863) and Agnes Mary (31/1/1868).

George was active in community affairs, being a Councillor and a member of the School Board. He was also a local preacher for 30 years at the Bible Christian Church, as well as one of its first trustees. George is shown at Cuddlee Creek in a photograph at the State Library of South Australia.

Mary Ann died on May 5, 1891 after a short but painful illness. George stayed at Cuddlee Creek until around 1903, and then moved to East Adelaide. He died on 30 September 1910.


Memories of Kennings, George (Constable)

Do you remember Kennings, George (Constable) ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share