Kennings, George (Constable)
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1824|
|Place of birth||Buckinghamshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1847|
|Principal occupation||Mounted Constable, Farmer|
|Date of death||1910|
|Place of decease||Fourth Avenue, East Adelaide|
George Kennings served in the Mounted Police from June 4, 1847 to October 15, 1851.
He was born in Buckinghamshire England. He became a farmhand and decided to emigrate to South Australia, arriving at Port Adelaide on March 27, 1847 on the ship, Phoebe. On June 4, soon after arriving, he joined the Mounted Constables, although his name in the Government Gazette is given as Hemmings. MC Kennings seems to have been first stationed in Gawler, and is then reported as serving in Willunga, having apprehended a suspect in a theft. While stationed at Willunga, he is reported in February 1849 giving evidence in court on another theft. George seems to have left Willunga in 1850, when Mounted Constable Moore took over the Willunga Police Station. In January 1851, he is reported at the Salt Creek Police Station and then Port Lincoln. Apparently, while in the north, his provisions were stolen and he had to survive for 3 weeks on oysters!
MC Kennings left the Police Force in October 1851. According to his obituary, George had formed part of the Gold Escort, where he would have known William Richards, but caught the gold fever and decided to become a prospector. He is recorded as consigning 20 oz 10 dwt of gold. He bought land at Cuddlee Creek and lived there with his wife, Mary Ann Chenhalls, who he married in 27 January 1853 at Christ Church, North Adelaide. His brother, John, and his family immigrated in 1855, joining George and Mary Ann at Cudlee Creek. George and Mary Ann had a large family, Marion (b. 4/3/1855), Amy (b. 15/6/1856), Annie (b. 16/10/1857), Bessie (b. 2/4/1859), William (b. 17/7/1860), Annette (b. 21/10/1861), Clara Jane (b. 1863) and Agnes Mary (31/1/1868).
George was active in community affairs, being a Councillor and a member of the School Board. He was also a local preacher for 30 years at the Bible Christian Church, as well as one of its first trustees. George is shown at Cuddlee Creek in a photograph at the State Library of South Australia.
Mary Ann died on May 5, 1891 after a short but painful illness. George stayed at Cuddlee Creek until around 1903, and then moved to East Adelaide. He died on 30 September 1910.
- Chronicle Saturday 15 October 1910. p. 46
- Government Gazette. May 10 1849
- Genealogy Database Births. Marriages
- Passengers in history . http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/