Lovelock, George (junior)
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1836|
|Place of birth||Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1839|
|Date of departure||1864|
|Date of death||1907|
|Place of decease||San Francisco, USA.|
George Lovelock junior was born at Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England in December 1836. He was the fourth surviving son of George Lovelock senior (1802-1853) and Ann (née Glass) (1805-1875). He was Church of England. At 3 years of age, George arrived in South Australia with his parents on 24 September 1839 aboard Price Regent from London.
George grew up in Aldinga. His father, George Lovelock senior, died in 1853 when George junior was just 17 years old.
George was a keen competitive ploughman. At 13 years of age in 1853, he entered and won the boys' category of the Aldinga Ploughing Match and won the category again in 1854. He entered the General category in 1855 and the First Class (Champions) at the Willunga Ploughing Match in 1856 and 1857. Also in 1857 he drove a bullock team owned by Lewis Fidge at the McLaren Vale Ploughing Match. In 1858 he entered both the Aldinga and the McLaren Vale Ploughing Matches and later, in 1859 and 1860, other local ploughing matches.
George Lovelock junior was elected as a councillor for the Aldinga District Council in 1862 and again in 1863.
George, aged 19 years, married 19 year old Clara Winzor (1836-1902) at St Stephen’s Church, Willunga, on 5 July 1855. They had nine children:
- Ada (1856-1939) was born at Aldinga. She married Henry Gordon Ridley (1852-1924) on 31 May 1874 at Salisbury and they had eleven children. Ada died at Broken Hill, NSW.
- Hurtle Winzor (1858-1915) was born at Aldinga and was unmarried. He died at Adelaide.
- Blanche (1861-1906) was born at Aldinga and was unmarried. She died at Largs Bay.
- Harriet (1864-1930) was born at Gawler Plains. She married William Stephen Fidge (1857-1918) on 5 August 1885 at the residence of George Lovelock in the Hunderd of Pirie. They had seven children. Harriet died at Kensington.
- Lewis Rudolph (1866-1894) was born at Munno Para West.He married Anna Vonow (1867-1908) on 24 April 1890 at St Paul’s Church, Port Pirie and they had three sons. Lewis died at Petersburgh (Peterborough), SA.
- John Salisbury (1869-1940) was born at Gawler Plains. He married Lillian Caroline Wark (1872-1938) at St Mary’s Church, West Perth on 16 June 1906 and they had one son. John died at North Perth.
- Alice Yatala (1872-1879) was born at Gawler Plains and died as a child at Port Pirie.
- William George (1875-1945) was born at Gawler Plains. He married Violet Scammell Nation (1883-1951 on 14 August 1904 at Norwood and they had one daughter. He died in South Australia.
- Oswald Oliver (1880-1951) was born at Port Pirie. He married Rosey Jane Ifould (1881-1966) in 1907 at Leederville, WA, and they had one daughter. He died at Leederville, WA.
George, Clara and their growing family lived in Aldinga until before January 1864, when they moved to Salisbury and lived at Gawler Plains.
Clara Lovelock (née Winzor), aged 66 years, died at Kensington on 15 August 1902. George Lovelock junior, aged 72 years, late of Port Pirie, was accidentally killed by a “motor street car” on 17 September 1907 in San Francisco.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- The Advertiser 9 Dec 1907:6