Now and Then is a community heritage wiki website created and maintained by the people of Willunga, South Australia. You are welcome to join and share your knowledge, memories and stories of Willunga. Create your account and join in today!
Click the colored pins on this interactive map to find stories in this wiki. Blue pins mark places. Green pins mark organisations. Red pins mark events. Try zooming in or out, shifting the view to see more, or switch between the map or satellite view.
- 1 Explore Willunga Now and Then
- 2 Join Willunga Now and Then
- 3 Fragments of Time: the lives and works of Willunga Slate Carvers
- 4 Contact Willunga National Trust
- 5 Willunga Walks mobile app
- 6 Follow us on Facebook
- 7 Courthouse and Slate Museums (temporarily closed)
- 8 Bassett Boys' Schoolroom (temporarily closed)
- 9 Explore Local History
- 10 Willunga History on YouTube
- 11 Proudly supported by:
- 12 What's new on Now & Then
- 13 Willunga History News
- 14 On The Coast latest
- 15 Discover Willunga
- 16 Find and share historic images
- 17 Most popular articles
- 18 Now and Then Blog
- 19 Visit other Now & Then sites
Explore Willunga Now and Then
Browse the articles - click on Places, People, Events, Organisations or Things at the top of this page to connect with articles about historic Willunga.
Join Willunga Now and Then
All welcome! For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fragments of Time: the lives and works of Willunga Slate Carvers
If you have ancestors who lived in Willunga, if you enjoy reading history, if you are interested in Willunga's slate industry, think about buying "Fragments of Time: the lives and works of Willunga slate carvers" to distract you from the world's woes. Lose yourself in the 19th century instead. Proceeds go to the Willunga Branch of the National Trust. Order now at Openbook Howden (which is still open).
For further details: https://www.openbookhowden.com.au/product/fragments-of-time/ or if you are local to Willunga, email email@example.com
Contact Willunga National Trust
61 High St, Willunga SA 5172
Phone: (08) 8556 2195
We welcome contributions of stories, photographs and other memorabilia.
Willunga Walks mobile app
Discover Willunga's remarkable heritage with the Willunga Walks mobile app available for iphone, ipad and Android devices from the Google Play and iTunes App stores. Download the app and take a self-guided trail to explore dozens of interesting places at your own pace.
Get the app now:
Follow us on Facebook
Star of Greece Shipwreck This page will keep you informed of events, information and news concerning the Star of Greece Shipwreck. 2020 is the 132nd anniversary of the disaster.
Courthouse and Slate Museums (temporarily closed)
Industry, Law and Order in a 19th Century Community. Explore our permanent exhibitions to learn the story of Willunga’s slate industry since 1840 as shown throughout our Slate Museum. Gain insight into our social history, especially relating to Law and Order, as shown through our Courthouse Museum: Family history material is available. Download Willunga Walks app to explore historic Willunga.
Bassett Boys' Schoolroom (temporarily closed)
In 1862 James Bailey Bassett opened the Bassett Boys' Schoolroom in St Luke's Street in Willunga. Willunga National Trust hosts excursions where school students dress up in historical clothing and take lessons, complete with writing slates, chalk and quill pens to experience what school life was like during the 19th Century. Enquiries (08) 85562195
Explore Local History
The Willunga Branch of the National Trust holds a unique archive of Willunga's local history which is accessible during museum opening hours. We welcome enquiries from family historians and other researchers.
Willunga History on YouTube
Proudly supported by:
What's new on Now & Then
- Bell (née Holman formerly Luhning formerly Williams), Jane
- Higgins (née Holman), Susanna(h)
- Bastian (nèe Holman), Mary
- Peterson (née Holman), Philippa
- Holman (nee Hodge), Millicent
- Snoswell (nee Holman), Elizabeth
- Shepherd, John
- Shepherd (nee Bastian), Philippa
- Chenoweth, William
- Chenoweth, Edwin George
Willunga History News
On The Coast latest
Find and share historic images
Join us on Flickr to find more images of Willunga's history and share your own!
Most popular articles
- Bassett Boys' Schoolroom 17 St Lukes Street (12,764 views)
- Sisters of St Joseph (10,841 views)
- How to use this wiki site (9,520 views)
- Castle, James (8,703 views)
- Almond Blossom Festival (7,984 views)
- Whitefield, Reverend William (7,671 views)
- Bassett, James (6,599 views)
- Goldies Roadhouse (6,571 views)
- Bassett Memorial Tree (5,809 views)
- Search tips (5,537 views)
Now and Then Blog
Failed to load RSS feed from http://www.barossaherald.com.au/rss.xml: Error fetching URL: Maximum (0) redirects followed