|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1809|
|Place of birth||Lanteglos, Cornwall, England|
|Date of arrival||1849|
|Principal occupation||Quarryman and slate merchant|
|Date of death||1872|
|Place of decease||Willunga|
John Male was born in Lanteglos, Cornwall, England on 15 Oct 1809. His parents were William Bonear Male (1781-1864) and Elizabeth Mary (née Lane, 1783-1840). His brothers were Francis Male (1820-1895) and Nicholas Male (1816-1867) both of whom emigrated to South Australia - Nicholas in 1848 and Francis in 1856. Religion – Church of England.
John Male, aged 25 years, married Philippa Allen (1811-1842) aged 23 years, on 1 Feb 1834 at Lanteglos by Camelford, Cornwall. They had four children, two of whom died young while the family was still in Cornwall:
- Lavinia May (1832-1906) b. in Cornwall, m. Henry Pethick (1831-1918) on 3 May 1853 at Aldinga, d. at Aldinga.
- Margretta (1834-1846) b & d. in Cornwall, died as a child.
- Mary Jane (1835-1871) b. in Cornwall, m. John Pethick (1827-1893) on 31 Aug 1857 at Willunga.
- John Allen (1839-1842) b. &. d. in Cornwall.
Philippa Male (née Allen) died in Cornwall of typhus, aged 31 years, on 22 Jan 1842.
John Male, aged 39 years, with his two daughters Lavinia (17) and Mary (13) arrived in South Australia aboard Harry Lorrequer on 25 Dec 1849. He worked in the Willunga Slate quarries. In August 1850, he had a serious accident which left him with a deformity to his leg. Four years later in 1854, after another accident, Dr Jay administered chloroform and managed to bring the limb back into its correct alignment.
In the late 1850s, he was the joint occupier of the slate quarry on section 1008 (Bastian’s quarry) with Sampson Bastian junior and a stone quarry on section 267 with Thomas Polkinghorne. John paid rates on a house on Lot 41 (cnr St. Peters Terrace and St. Lukes Street) in 1865, Lot 65 (at 25 St Andrews Terrace) in 1869 and a house and garden on Lot 245 in section 700 (Beltunga) from 1871 until his death in 1872.
John Male, aged 60 years, married Catherine Hewitson (1848- ), aged 21 years, on 24 Feb 1869 at the residence of Joseph Gordon in Willunga. They had two children:
- William (1870-1872) b. & d. at Willunga.
- Margaret (1872-1874) b. at Willunga, d. at Karina
John Male, aged 64 years, died on 8 Sept 1872 at Willunga and is buried in St. Stephens Anglican Cemetery, Willunga.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- SAILIS 1858-1863 M 40 CT 58/141
- Adelaide Observer 20 May 1854:8
- Evening Journal 11 Sept 1872:2