Martin, Frederick Richard George
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1822|
|Place of birth||St. Teath, Cornwall, England|
|Date of arrival||1848|
|Principal occupation||Quarryman, slate dresser and farmer|
|Date of death||1906|
|Place of decease||Willunga|
Frederick Richard George Martin was born at St. Teath, Cornwall in 1822. He may have been illegitimate or orphaned and was brought up by an uncle. Religion – Church of England.
Mary Ann Cobbledick, aged 21 years, (1826-1869) married Frederick Richard George Martin, aged 25 years, (1822-1906) on 11 May 1847 at St. Teath, Cornwall.
F.R.G. Martin (23) and his wife Mary Ann (21) arrived Port Adelaide aboard Bussorah Merchant on 9 Nov 1848. Travelling with them was Nicholas Male senior and his wife, Margaret (nee Cobbledick – the sister of Mary Ann) and their son Nicholas junior (8).
Frederick and Mary Ann had 8 children, all born in South Australia:
- Philippa Jane (1849-1928) b. at Willunga, m. William Cobbledick Tucker (1849-1931) on 28 March 1872 at the residence of Frederick Martin at Yankalilla, d. at Minlaton, SA.
- William Cobbledick (1850-1923) b. at Willunga, m. Ellen Florence Butler (1862- ) at Willunga on 1 March 1883. He was a miner at Blinman, d. at Kalgoorlie, WA.
- John (1852-1859) b. & d. at Willunga.
- Elizabeth (1853-1934) b. at Willunga, m. (1st) Andrew Gardner (1845-1881) at Harcourt Wesleyan Church on 17 Oct 1873, (2nd) Thomas Hunt (1846-1925) at residence of Elizabeth Gardner in 1886, d. at Ceduna, SA.
- Ellen (1855-1856) b. & d. at Willunga.
- Frederick junior (1856-1941) b. at Willunga, m. Margaret Gibb Litster (1859-1944) at the residence of Alexander Litster, Curramulka on 28 Sept 1882. He was a blacksmith at Yankalilla, Minlaton and Fullarton, d. at Fullarton, SA.
- Henry (1859-1917) b. at Yankalilla, m. Ada Margaret Hillier (1866-1947) at Stansbury on 5 Feb 1885. He was a blacksmith and farmer at Stanbury and Port Vincent, d. at Port Vincent, SA.
- Mary (1866-1911) b. at Dairy Flat near Yankalilla, m. William Henry Bonear Male (1860-1946) on 12 June 1889 at South Melbourne, Vic, d. in Victoria.
Mary Ann Martin, (aged 43 years) died at Yankalilla on 3 April 1869 and Frederick (57) remarried to Matilda Ferris Elliot (40) (1839-1934) at Willunga on 1 Oct 1879. She was the daughter of Henry Elliot (1806-1867) and Mary Ann (nee Ferris) (1809-1883) of McLaren Vale. They had two children:
- Beatrice May (1878-1903) b. & d. at Willunga, m. William John Wright (1868-1946) on 4 July 1900 at Willunga, d. at Willunga, b. at St. Stephens Anglican Church Cemetery, Willunga.
- Adelina Jane (1879-1967) b. at Willunga, m. Archie Neil Jackson (1880-1962) on 19 March 1908 at Willunga.
Frederick was a quarryman and slate dresser at Willunga (1848-1959) and later an agricultural laborer and farmer at Yankalilla (1859-1879) then returned to Willunga (1879-1906). Frederick paid rates on a quarter acre plus a house in 1853, a house in 1855 and a half an acre plus a house in 1856-1857. Then in 1882-1883 he paid rates on Lot 255 (off St Johns Terrace in Beltunga) with a house.
Frederick Martin, aged 84 years, died on 3 Oct 1906 at Willunga and he is buried in St. Stephens Anglican Cemetery, Willunga. Matilda Martin died on 13 June 1934.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- South Australian Register 20 Oct 1873:4