Montagu, George (Constable)
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||c. 1843|
|Date of arrival||1868|
|Principal occupation||Mounted policeman|
|Date of departure||1869|
|Date of death||1904|
|Place of decease||Fitzroy, Victoria|
George Montagu, aged about 23 years, joined the Mounted Police on 16 July 1866. He served in the Mounted Police at Willunga for just over a year from 1 Nov 1868 until 1 Dec 1869. He served at Kingston in 1871. From 8 August 1873 he transferred to the Northern Territory Police and he served at Palmerston (Darwin) in the Northern Territory for at least six years (1873-1879).
George Montagu (father George Montagu) aged 47 years married Edith Maud Crocker (father Thomas Crocker) aged 23 years at Christ Church, Mt Gambier on 23 April 1890. They had two children (2 girls): Edith Doris Marcia (1891- ) b at Mt Gambier m Daniel Flint in Victoria in 1926 Barbara Estelle (1895- ) b at Mt Gambier unmarried lived in Queensland
George and Edith later lived at Lilydale in Victoria until 1903 when they moved to Fitzroy. George Montagu, aged 61 years, was working as a News Agent when he died at 263 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Victoria on 26 Aug 1904. He was buried in the Boroondara Cemetery.
- Police Gazette 22 July 1868:1
- Evening Journal 9 May 1870:2
- Evening Journal 28 Jan 1871:2
- South Australian Advertiser 29 Jan 1873:2
- Adelaide Observer 30 Aug 1873:5
- South Australian Advertiser 3 Sept 1873:3
- South Australian Register 24 Aug 1878:1
- South Australian Advertiser 15 Nov 1879:1
- Border Watch 22 May 1895:2
- The Age 23 July 1903:10
- Evening Journal 31 Aug 1904:1
- Electoral Roll Victoria 1903.