Pollard, John Edward
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1816|
|Place of birth||Hertfordshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1836|
|Principal occupation||Labourer, Mounted Policeman and farmer.|
|Date of death||1865|
|Place of decease||Mitcham, South Australia.|
John Edward Pollard was born in Hertfordshire, England in 1816. Aged 20 years, he arrived with his wife in South Australia aboard the Africaine from London on 19 Nov 1836. Laborer, policeman and farmer. His father was Reverend John Pollard, rector of Bennington, Hertfordshire. Labourer, policeman and farmer. Religion – Church of England.
Pollard was a foundation member of the Police Force on 28 Sept 1838 as a Mounted Constable. He was a Mounted Policeman in the 1840s and he served at Willunga until January 1843. He then served at Encounter Bay where he resigned on 31 Dec 1845 to become a farmer. He owned Bennington Farm at Bald Hills in Inman Valley and became insolvent in 1858.
John Edward Pollard (father John Pollard) married (1st) Maria Smith before 1836. Maria Pollard died, aged 43 years, in 1861 at Bald Hills. Children: John James (1837- ) Thomas Nelson (1839- ) m. Catherine Jane Nicholls in 1859. William Bradshaw (1841- ) Son (1844-1845) b. and d. at Encounter Bay Anna Maria (1850- ) b at Inman Valey. m. David Deakin Davies. Mary Ann (1851- ) John Edward (1854- ) m. Mary Ann Westlake in 1880.
John Edward Pollard (father John Pollard), aged 46 years, married (2nd) Bridget Kearse (father John Kearse), aged 29 years in 1864. Margaret (1866- ) b. at Norwood.
John Edward Pollard, aged 50 years, died at Mitcham on 30 May 1865.
- Adelaide Chronicle 10 March 1841:3
- Adelaide Chronicle 16 March 1842:6
- Southern Australian 18 March 1842:3
- South Australian Register 13 Sept 1845:4
- South Australian Register 6 Dec 1851:3
- South Australian Register 11 June 1854:2
- South Australian Register 15 Sept 1854:2
- South Australian Register 3 May 1858 1854:3
- South Australian Advertiser 14 Aug 1858:2
- South Australian Register 30 July 1860:3
- Sydney Morning Herald 8 Aug 1892:10
- Leadbeater Maureen M. South Australian Police 1938-1920. Family History SA. See https://www.familyhistorysa.org/sahistory/police.html
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972