Shoobridge, Mrs Anne (Annie) Isabelle
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth|| 1841
|Date of death||1920|
|Place of decease||Kensington, South Australia|
Anne Isabella Simpson was born in 1841, daughter of Edward Simpson (1801-1855) late of Derby in England, who was a jeweller at North Adelaide. Annie, aged 25 years, married William Shoobridge (1842-1875), aged 24 years, (father Thomas Shoobridge) on 11 Dec 1866 at the Congregational Church in North Adelaide. William Shoobridge was an accountant for Acraman, Main, & Co., of Currie Street, Adelaide and he drowned, aged 32 years, in the sinking of Gothenburg on 25 February, 1875.
Annie Shoobridge subsequently worked as a postmistress for more than thirty years (1878-1910) in the Post and Telegraph Department that, at different times, included working as an agent for the Money Order Savings Bank and as the District Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. She worked at Riverton (1878-1883), Murray Park (Magill) (1884-1888), Angaston (1889-1900), Port Elliot (1900-1901), Willunga (1901-1905) and Echunga (1907-1910). Religion – Congregational.
She had three sons - William Cecil (11/09/1867- ) b. North Adelaide m. Edith Annie Wake on 11 Oct 1902 d. at Broken Hill Thomas Bartram (13/06/1869-23/04/1898) b. North Adelaide d. at Crystal Brook aged 31 years Frederic Blakeney (15/11/1871- ) b. North Adelaide m Annie Julia Augusta Wallman on 28 Jan 1897
In June 1878 her youngest son Frederic was severely burnt in an accident when a kerosene lamp broke when the table in the kitchen of the Riverton post office fell over. Also in 1878 Mrs. Shoobridge, Telegraph Station Mistress at Riverton, who was already a member of the Telegraph Electrical Society of Melbourne, was elected a member of the still more important Telegraph Electrical Society of Chicago, America. Mrs. Shoobridge was the Postmistress at the Post and Telegraph Station at 62 High Street in Willunga from 1901 to 1905.
Mrs Annie Shoobridge died on 10 May 1920, aged 79 years, at Kensington in South Australia and she was buried in the North Road cemetery.
- South Australian Register 12 Dec 1866:2
- Kapunda Herald 17 May 1878:3
- Evening Journal 14 June 1878:3
- South Australian Register 14 Oct 1878:1
- Evening Journal 31 Dec 1878:4
- Southern Argus 2 May 1901:3
- The Government Gazette16 May 1901
- The Register 17 May 1901:3
- The Advertiser 16 April 1903:10
- The Express and Telegraph 6 July 1903:3
- Chronicle 15 July 1905:38
- The Advertiser 2 Dec 1910:11
- The Express and Telegraph 12 May 1920:2 Chronicle 15 May 1920:27
- The Register 9 Dec 1924:3
- Australian Birth Index 1788-1922 Adelaide 55/56 103/255
- Australia Marriage Index 1788-1950 Adelaide 69/171
- Australia Death Index 1787-1975 Adelaide 68/126 437/331