Shop 13 High Street
|Also known as:||Primitive Methodist Manse|
|Address:||13 High St|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Used for:||Residence, Primitive Methodist Manse|
Blacksmith Henry Harker lived here in the late 1850s while conducting his ‘smithy’ business across the road.
Around 1860 the house was purchased by Rev. William Whitefield who lived here with his wife and children during his ministry to the Primitive Methodist Churches at Strout Road McLaren Flat and at 27 High Street in Willunga township. On his death the house passed to his wife until her death in 1895.
John Hockney then lived here while running his boot-making business across the road at 22 High Street. It became a substantial home with lounge, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms plus and 2 smaller outside bedrooms, an outside wash-house and bathroom, a cellar, well, slate water tanks, large garden with fruit trees and small paddock for the horse.
Note the original slate roof and slate window sills. A few remnant almond and fruit trees from Henry Harker’s once extensive garden still survive at the rear.
In the 1980s the premises were shared by a garden centre and a lawn-mower repair shop. More recently in the 1990s it has housed the Willunga Landcare Office, Russell's Pizzas at the rear and, from 2003, Minko Wines Cellar Door.
- R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)