Shop and Residence 19 Aldinga Road
|Address:||19 Aldinga Rd|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Used for:||Shop, residence|
Built in the 1850s of stone and brick with alterations and enlargements in the 1880s, this building forms part of an early streetscape on Aldinga Road, which was originally known as Church Street.
Richard Crafter built his house and shop in the original eastern section which had a slate roof, since replaced with corrugated iron. He was pound-keeper, the town's first chemist and Secretary of the Oddfellows Lodge before moving to North Adelaide around 1864.
It then became Hopkins’ Store until at least 1879. The store was run by Alfred Hopkins and his wife Elizabeth who had arrived in Willunga by 1862. It seems that the store closed soon after Alfred's death in 1878, although this is not certain.
Alfred's daughter Elizabeth Hopkins inherited her father's home. She married Charles Lipson in February 1879 and the house and garden became their home for many years. The building was substantially enlarged.
Charles Lipson ran a commission agency from the building for over 30 years working for the SA Savings Bank and various other companies. He was a Justice of the Peace, Secretary to the Agricultural Society, lay preacher for the Willunga Anglican Church, captain of the Lifeboat crew, 'funeral director and furnisher' and Clerk of the District Council for thirty three years until his retirement in July 1927.
Elizabeth and Charles Lipson lived in Willunga until their deaths in 1933 and 1945 respectively.
- R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)