Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

National Trust Willunga branch.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Show Hall and Community Centre Main Road

From Willunga
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: Recreation Centre
Address: 7 Main Rd
Town or Locality: Willunga
Year constructed: 1890
Used for: Show, dances, picture shows, concerts, meetings, library, Spots and Social Club, CWA, RSL, Almond Blossom Festival
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.
The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.
  • "{{{Site type}}}" is not in the list of possible values (Land section, Landmark, Natural feature) for this property.
  • The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.

The Willunga, Aldinga and McLaren Vale Agricultural and Horticultural Society held Shows from as early as 1856. They were popular district events with numerous prizes for horses, cattle, pigs, wheat, barley, dairy produce, fruit, vegetables, flowers, implements, slate, poultry and wine.

Until 1888, the early Shows were held in the Oddfellows Hall at Willunga and on vacant land between the Hall and the nearby Bush Inn.

On Willunga Show Day, 5 March 1890, the Agricultural Hall on the north side of the present complex was officially opened and the Willunga Show gained a permanent home. The Hall (now called the Show Hall) was used for Shows, dances, picture shows, concerts and meetings. An Institute Library was conducted in the back room from 1922. The front rendered section was added in the early 1900s, and the Sports and Social Club was added to the back in 1982.

At the rear of the Hall is the Recreation Park, the land for which was purchased in 1885 from Mrs. Pethick. In 1905 the Show Society erected a Luncheon Booth next to the Show Hall; but this was demolished to make way for the present Community Centre, opened in 1979, which includes RSL and CWA Clubrooms. An early cottage used by the CWA was demolished to form an entrance and gateway. Note a lintel and seat placed under the pepper tree.

The Almond Blossom Festival Committee was formed in 1969 and since 1970 has held the annual Almond Blossom Festival at the Recreation Park in July to highlight the almond industry and the picturesque blossom and to raise funds for the Oval and Community Centre.

Sources

  • R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)
Agricultural Hall, Willunga, c 1905
Agricultural Hall, Willunga, c 1905
Exhibition Hall, Show Hall, Willunga
Exhibition Hall, Show Hall, Willunga
Show Hall
Show Hall


Memories of Show Hall and Community Centre Main Road

Do you remember Show Hall and Community Centre Main Road ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share