St Anne's Lodge 7 St Peters Terrace
|Address:||7 St Peters Tce|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Used for:||Residence, surgery|
The original part of this stone house with its slate roof and verandah was built for Dr. Richard Jay in 1851 and was his surgery and home until 1877.
It remained the home of Willunga’s doctors for the next 90 years ending with Dr. Arthur Haines in 1940. Doctors in the intervening years were James Baker, Robert McGowan, Francis Counter, H M Evans and W C Marsden.
Substantial additions were made to the rear and western side in the 1880s to provide a surgery, dispensary, waiting room and consulting room.
St Anne's was bought in 1941 by Ruth and Hillman Goldfinch. It was in poor repair with limited bathroom or cooking facilities. During restoration Ruth introduced a blue and white theme in the interior and planted a lovely garden in the spacious grounds. Ruth's collection of jugs of all shapes and sizes lined the shelves in the home. The property passed from the Goldfinch family's care when it was sold following Hillman's death in 1982.
The house is on the State Heritage Register, has been classified by the National Trust and bears a plaque from the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.
- R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)