|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1838|
|Place of birth||Derry, Ireland|
|Date of arrival||1858|
|Principal occupation||Weaver and labourer|
|Date of death||1916|
|Place of decease||Aldinga|
Samuel Valentine was born in Derry, Ireland. He was the son of Samuel Valentine senior and the younger brother of Joseph Valentine (1835-1917). Samuel, aged 21 years and he was described as a weaver, arrived in South Australia aboard Nugget from Southampton on 2 April 1858. Religion – Wesleyan Methodist.
Samuel, aged 36 years, married Margaret Carroll (1855-1916), aged 21 years on 20 March 1877 at St. Stephens Anglican Church, Willunga. They had two children:
Jane (1877-1959) b. at Aldinga, m. William Henry McGaffin (1873-1952) on 3 July 1897 at Adelaide, they had one daughter, d. at Aldinga
Samuel junior (1879-1905) b. at Aldinga, d. at Aldinga, committed suicide by drowning aged 26 years on 9 Sept 1905.
Samuel Valentine was a labourer and does not appear to have owned or paid rates on land in the district. He was living at Bennetts Hill, presumably at the farm with his brother Joseph, when he died in 1916.
Samuel Valentine, aged 78 years, died on 8 Oct 1916 – a colonist of 58 years - and Margaret (née Carroll), aged 61 years, also died in 1916 and they are both buried in the Aldinga Uniting Church Cemetery
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Observer 16 Sept 1905:1
- Chronicle 16 Sept 1905:13
- The Register 12 Aug 1916:8