Vanstone, William Dorrent
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1833|
|Place of birth||Tamerton Foliot, Devon, England.|
|Date of arrival||1847|
|Principal occupation||Poundkeeper and quarryman.|
|Date of departure||1888|
|Date of death||1916|
|Place of decease||Prospect, SA.|
William Dorrent Vanstone was born in Tamerton Foliot, Devon, England. He was the son of John Vanstone senior (1803-1886) and his first wife, Mary Ann Vear (1800-1846). Aged 13 years, William arrived in South Australia on 2 July 1847 with his father and three brothers John (19), James (16) and Phillip (7) aboard La Belle Alliance.
William, aged 21 years, married Elizabeth Bennetts Matthews (1835-1903), aged 19 years, in a double wedding with his brother, John Vanstone junior, and Elizabeth's sister, Margaret Bennetts Matthews, on 26 March 1854 at St Stephen’s Anglican Church, Willunga. Elizabeth was the daughter of Thomas Matthews (1804-1889) and Grace Bennetts (1802-1889) of St Levan, Cornwall. They had six children:
- Thomas (1854-1938) was born at Aldinga and married Esther Gregory (1857-1922) on 19 February 1880 at Greenwith, SA, and they had four children. He died at Koolunga and is buried in Crystal Brook Cemetery.
- Mary Ann (1856-1949) was born at Aldinga. She married Thomas Barrett (1859-1916) on 1 October 1885 in Adelaide and they had four children. She died at Unley.
- Hannah (Anna) was born at Aldinga. She married James Henry Barr (1852-1937) on 26 August 1880 at the residence of William D. Vanstone at Willunga and they had six children. She died at St Leonards, SA, and is buried in North Brighton Cemetery.
- Jane (1962-1937) was born at Aldinga. She married George Kilford (1855-1944) on 8 February 1862 at Aldinga and they had five children. She died at Prospect, SA.
- Evelyn (1870-1949) was born at Aldinga. She married William James Cock (1867-1949) on 20 August 1890 at Willunga and they had ten children. She died at Fielding, New Zealand.
- Ada Elizabeth (1874-1944) was born at Aldinga. She married Charles David Mutton (1851-1913) in 1899 at the residence of Mr Blewett, North Adelaide, and they had three children. She died at Adelaide.
William Vanstone was the poundkeeper at Willunga from 1861 until 1868 and then worked as a quarryman. William, Elizabeth and their growing family were resident in Willunga for more than thirty years, from the time of their marriage in 1854 until at least 1888. On 20 March 1884, William Vanstone, quarryman, purchased part of lot 5 in section 257, fronting onto St Andrews Terrace, which he sold on 14 September 1888 to Emma Maria Martin, wife of farmer John Martin of Adelaide.
Elizabeth, aged 67 years, died on 22 March 1903 at Park Street, Hackney and William died, aged 82 years, on 14 February 1916 at Prospect, SA. They are both buried in West Terrace Cemetery.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- SAILIS CT 445/68
- Evening Journal 23 March 1903:1