|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1824|
|Place of birth||Crowan, Cornwall|
|Date of arrival||1848|
|Date of death||1871|
|Place of decease||Willunga|
Stephen Holman Watters senior was born on 27 May 1824 in Crowan, Cornwall. He was the son of William Watters (1800-1872) and Lenora Holman (1800-1875). He was baptized on 27 May 1825 at Crowan, Cornwall. Religion – Wesleyan Methodist. Stephen Watters was a miner in Cornwall.
Stephen Watters, aged 20 years, married (1st) Sarah Holman in 1844. They had a daughter:
- Sarah Holman (1844-1923) b. at at Crowan, Cornwall, m. Edward Loud junior (1840-1904) at St. Stephens Anglican Church, Willunga on 1 May 1862, d. at Hyde Park, SA
After his wife Sarah died, Stephen, aged 22 years, married (2nd) Mary Ann Davies, aged 21 years, (1827-1907) on 30 Dec 1847 in Crowan, Cornwall. He signed and she made her mark. The witnesses were William Watters and John Goldsworthy. She was the daughter of Samuel Prisk Davies (1798-1860) and Elizabeth Selina Pascoe (1794- ) of Crowan, Cornwall.
Stephen (22), his new wife Mary Ann (née Davies) (22) and his daughter by his first marriage Sarah (4) arrived in South Australia with Stephen's parents and siblings on 14 April 1848 on board Bolton.
Stephen and Mary Ann had five children:
- Elizabeth Ann (1849-1910) b. at Willunga, m. 1st Thomas Henry Bastian (1843-1879) on 14 Nov 1867 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Willunga 2nd Robert Elliot (1835-1915) in 1888, d. at Narranderra, NSW
- John (1851-1934) b. at Willunga, m. Susan Jane Pointon (1855-1934) at the residence of James Pointon in Willunga in 1876, farmed at Curramulka, d. at Rose Park, SA
- Stephen Holman junior (1855-1925) b. at Willunga, m. Catherine Atkinson (1857-1919) at the residence of Thomas Martin, Esq., J.P., Willunga on 27 Aug 1879, farmed at Curramulka, SA, Nhill, Vic and Narrandera, NSW, d. at Narrandera, NSW
- Mary Jane (1858-1918) b. at Willunga, m. Richard Thomas Dart (1859-1933) at Curramulka in 1887, moved to Victoria and then NSW, Richard was a carrier at Narrandera, NSW, d. at Narrandera, NSW and buried at Ganmain, NSW
- William (1863-1940) b. at Willunga, m. Caroline Headdey at the residence of Mrs J.S. Headdey, Beverley, SA in 1892, moved to Victoria and then NSW, d. and buried at Narrandera, NSW
Stephen was a farmer in the Willunga District for more than 20 years, from about 1848 until his death in 1871.
Stephen, aged 46 years, died on 8 Jan 1871. He is buried in the Wesleyan Methodist (Uniting) Church Cemetery in Willunga.
Mary Ann (née Davies), aged 75 years, died on 26 Oct 1907 at Narrandera, NSW.
- Passengers in History Database – South Australian Maritime Museum
- South Australian Births – Index of Registrations 1842-1906
- South Australian Marriages – Index of Registrations 1842-1937
- South Australian Deaths – Index of Registrations 1842-1972
- Ratepayer List Willunga & Aldinga Councils 1850-1888
- Statton J. (ed) 1986. Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. Volume 4
- South Australian Register 4 Mar 1873:8
- The Express and Telegraph 1 Apr 1876:2
- South Australian Register 29 Aug 1879:4