Willunga House 1 St Peters Terrace
|Address:||1 St Peters Tce|
|Town or Locality:||Willunga|
|Year constructed:||c. 1855|
|Used for:||Shop, post office, residence|
Henry Malpas ran a successful store and post office in this building. The single storey shop, followed by the residence, was built in the 1850s, with the upper storey and balconies added in 1864. It became the post office in 1851. Henry Malpas served as Postmaster from 1851 to 1858.
In 1870, a serious fire destroyed the stables, storehouse, harness, carts, stores and haystack, but the house survived. Henry retired as storekeeper in 1896. When he died in 1910, ownership of the gracious house and large park-like garden passed to his son James Stanley Malpas, followed by Henry's grandson Percy Malpas from 1940 to 1949.
In the 1960s, the original slate roof was removed and restoration work undertaken. The garden was sold to the Willunga Council who built their Office there in 1962. It subsequently became a private dwelling.
- R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)
- South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail Saturday 8 January 1870 p 5